Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
    Plus, another issue that comes with the cooked version of the map.
    After adding a tessalation level of 4 to improve the performance a bit, gaps started appearing on the distand terrain (???). I'm ready to suicide now lol

Terrain gaps (map running from unreal frontend... Those gaps are not visible in the editor mode) :
    After some testing...
    This seems to be a problem caused by terrain tesselation... In udk editor appears as "noise" in the distand land. That noise becomes the gaps in the cooked game... I really hope for this to get fixed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Sounds like you've stumbled upon some kind of bug, because I'm certain I've seen more complex material setups than that. Heck, isn't a material limited to like 13 texture samples? Your generated terrain über material should have like 6, so not even close to the limit.
    I really can't explain it.
    By removing one material that specific issue is gone. But a terrain made of 2 materials isn't a terrain in the year 2010 but a child's drawing lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Plus, another issue that comes with the cooked version of the map.
    After adding a tessalation level of 4 to improve the performance a bit, gaps started appearing on the distand terrain (???). I'm ready to suicide now lol

Terrain gaps (map running from unreal frontend... Those gaps are not visible in the editor mode) :

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sounds like you've stumbled upon some kind of bug, because I'm certain I've seen more complex material setups than that. Heck, isn't a material limited to like 13 texture samples? Your generated terrain über material should have like 6, so not even close to the limit.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Terrain & Texture limitation? (!!!)

Terrain & Texture limitation? (!!!)

The terrain concept has bugged me to my limits so far.

While there are tones of game engines out there able to support multiple textures applied on a single terrain, the Unreal terrain seems to be too limited on that matter. I found some info on that on this page: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Terra...dTextures.html
    ... and that was why I was very careful with the mumber of textures I was using. After a week of work I ended up with a nice and functional terrain both in editor and in game mode.

...functional... well... it was untill I've decided to cook my map for a test.
    Although the terrain wasn't a problem for the editor, the cooked game keeps crashing because of the terrain. For some really odd reason the materials applied on it are considered as too many for the cooked game.
    I mean for hell's sake I used 3 materials. Each material is made by 1 diffuse texture and 1 normal map. That's a total of 3 textures and 3 normal maps. It can't be any simpler. (...considering that the elder scrolls IV is using around 80 or more textures on a single terrain).
    And here I come to ask... Do I miss something or is the unreal terrain really that limited?
    Atm I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX supporting shader 3.0
    Any help would be most apreciated.

Terrain from the editor:

Terrain from the cooked map:
Working...
X