how to: animate a physics volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to: animate a physics volume

I have an interp actor moving around, I want to attach a physics volume/jump pad to it. Does anyone know a way to do this?

I was able to attach a trigger volume to an interp actor through the "attach to actor" in kismet, that works fine. Pretty sure that I followed the same steps with no results.

I haven't worked extensively with volumes, but I'm pretty sure they're considered static by the engine as they're created the same way as BSP. Would be nice if someone who knows could fill in on the subject, because I'm interested as well.

Comment

Well, there's this thread from a while ago in the UT3 Creator's Corner who got a ladder volume to move, but found that it only existed when at rest.

Jump pads aren't volumes, though, so that might work. In UTJumpPad.uc it looks like the instigator is told to fling itself at the jump destination at the moment it gets activated, so they might work despite being moved, or maybe not, I can't tell. JumpTime isn't even used in the code and class is native, so GOK how it works. You might be able to code something like it that calculates everything per use, if this one dosen't.

Comment

How about using a DynamicPhysicsVolume and attaching that to the interpactor.

In the 3D Buzz TopDown Video they used a DynamicTriggerVolume to move it around with a Interpactor. Should be about the same.

Hope that helps

Comment

In my project I have dynamic physics volumes that are attached to an actor that moves (camera), they act as boundaries so the player cannot move off of screen. So yes it's possible, and works very well indeed.

Also a dynamic blocking volume just in case

Comment

Myself, I added an exec hook to the pawn subclass that takes a parameter (hand-typed the volume's name) that forces the player off the ground so the dynamic physics volume they just entered (exec command with volume name in the param is in Kismet trigger sequence) can actually influence their movement.

JumpPads might have a problem with being moved because they are tied to the Path and NavMesh system.

Comment

Now I'm back and I have a question for YOU! I want a dynamicphysicsvolume to stick to a player pawn but not have the pawn's physics take over. It seems like when you attach an object to something, than that thing's physics become the attachee's physics. How to work around this? I want to make a bubble that makes the player float up, but the player can still control their pawn for the most part as they're floating.

Comment

Working...
              X