Streaming Worlds: Possible in UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaming Worlds: Possible in UDK?

So, for our FPS/RPG hybrid, we would have this mode in it known right now as Life Mode, it can be either online or local. But the major thing is the entire game world -- including standard Story levels -- are all merged and streamed as one huge game world. Can this be done?

Can be, but I dont recomend to make inourmous huge single map, even with streaming it's gonna be hard to upkeep.
    And streaming itself in Unreal is not a best ething on this planet. It's just it. Need very carefull planning ahead and special level design to make it look natural. It's better to use something like map from Storm Of Zehir or Galaxy map from Mass Effect

Comment

Yes stringray it can be done.

I would recommend that you create the base files like textures and Wire models. Anything image based, andhave the user download these to there local computer, which the game installer. becuase the will mostly likely be very large and as a total proberly run into the 100MB-5GBs

Then you create map file, which is very small binary or text file. which is basically a map/list of what textures go on what surfaces in what order.

Then you stream the map files in real time to the user when ever you like.
      But the base images and wire models always stay the same on the users local computer, and are only updated through updates, no more than once a week or month. 4 times a year would be best.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that the standard unreal server can only support up to 64 players, I have heard debates on if this is a set limit meaning that the server stops anymore connections after that, or if its just a recommended number, and after that performance starts to really decline, unless you have proper hardware. I haven't really did any testing on it, so thats just something to keep in mind when doing a "life mode" online.

One thing I have always wanted to take a look with in regards to the level streaming is if you could do dynamic levels that way, but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by GamerKnight View Post
          Yes stringray it can be done.

I would recommend that you create the base files like textures and Wire models. Anything image based, andhave the user download these to there local computer, which the game installer. becuase the will mostly likely be very large and as a total proberly run into the 100MB-5GBs

Then you create map file, which is very small binary or text file. which is basically a map/list of what textures go on what surfaces in what order.

Then you stream the map files in real time to the user when ever you like.
          But the base images and wire models always stay the same on the users local computer, and are only updated through updates, no more than once a week or month. 4 times a year would be best.
          This has nothing to do with what he's asking.

Comment

Working...
          X