Grass (Speed-Tree) and lighting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Two--Sided.
    And dont use speed-tree to generate grass. It's simple waste of resources. Insteda make a flat meshes in any 3d app, and texture it with grass texture that have alpha channel. Then use it as foliage actor. You will get pphysics with it. But still, is not worth. Better just place is as deco-layer on ground.
    If you want some good grass texture I recomend to visit turbosquig.com you can find some great texture that are free or no more than 5$.

Comment

Feel free to send me a test case if you like. It's always easier for me to diagnose art by looking at it instead of text descriptions.

Comment

If you fix this problem, an you please post it here, so I know what I need to do also, all the best.

Comment

Thanks for helping me out with this guys!

John I think I found the problem.
          It has to be my mesh. I replaced the mesh with simple leaves from speed-tree and lighting works without the frame rate problems the original one caused.
          I still can't figure out the "why" though.
          It's just a simple mesh made of 8 surfaces (1 poly each) with a 2-sided material applied on it and exported as object. It couldn't be any simpler.
          Anybody familiar with custom meshes for speed-tree use? Do they require something more?

Iniside, thanks for the suggestion! Well, the entire game industry is using speed-grass for grass objects at the present time, mostly because it looks more realistic in more than one ways comparing to other technics. I won't use it to cover the entire game, it's just another factor for adding some extra realism so, the resources that would possibly require is not really a problem considering its role in our game.

Falconian no problem. I will.

Comment

Make a copy of the diffuse texture and plug it into the specular channel, that should work. Do not use the diffuse texture itself, make a copy or else you can't play the level, the shader will make the game crash.

Comment

Originally posted by pboost View Post
              Make a copy of the diffuse texture and plug it into the specular channel, that should work. Do not use the diffuse texture itself, make a copy or else you can't play the level, the shader will make the game crash.
              Not really. It works fine even if it is from the same source.
              My problem in this old post was the mesh after all.
              In any case though I went the "foliage" way. Speedtree is too "heavy" for grass in unreal since it can be only added as deco and not as foliage actor. Really not the best option after all.

Comment

where is speedtree located in the UDK?? cos i found a speedtree on google but it costs money so i dont think thts the one

Comment

Binaries\SpeedTreeModeller

There should be the Speed Tree exe in your UDK folder

Comment

I have a feeling that speed trees dont work too well with the lighting. The only way I could make it work was to fake the enviorment lighting on the materials by plugging in a very faint emissive value that is the colour of the enviorment colour in the world properties. Otherwise the speed trees look black where there is no direct light and look out of place.

Comment

I don't see any pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X