Grass (Speed-Tree) and lighting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grass (Speed-Tree) and lighting...

Okay so I've finally figured how to make grass in speed-tree but the joy didn't last for long...

The grass doesn't seem to work as it should when the lighting is applied.
    Below you can see 2 screenshots. The first one shows a very basic test-level before light building and the second one with lighting built.

Note that I used no lightmass for this example cause it takes too long to render due to the amount of trees and grass used.
    When I use lightmass those dark shadows from the trees go away, that does not happen for the grass as well though.
    It looks black as hell just like in the shot below... Any ideas about what I could possibly do wrong?

Before:

After:

Have you tried tweaking the leaf opacity value in UDK? ie. select the speedtree (grass) and right click, go to properties and there adjust the opacity.

Comment

I just did but...
      Nope... still the same resaults :0\

Comment

Looks like it might be a lighting channel issue. Check the lighting channels?

Comment

If you get it to work, do a short tut on how if you would please.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            Looks like it might be a lighting channel issue. Check the lighting channels?
            Everything looks fine...
            I re-made the grass (mesh and textures) just in case I did something wrong the first time but unfortunately the resault is still the same.
            But... I used the same data but as static meshes this time.. The grass works fine but I lost the animations provided by the speed-tree aplication.
            So, considering this it must be an issue related to the speed-tree editor.
            Animating the model directly in max is a hard kick to game's frame-rate so it's not a good option. Having static grass isn't an option either since it doesn't look realistic...
            **** it... If I would keep notes of every issue I had to deal with since I started with UDK I'd have made a book by now.

Comment

How is your material setup?

Also, are you familiar with adding a foliage layer to your terrain? This might be a better option than using a Speedtree. Or even manually placing a FoliageFactory as needed.

Comment

I had the same problem with leaves on tree, I removed the normal map in the material editor, and it seemed to work just fine after that.

Comment

Falconian, I tried to remove the normals but no changes.

John I used the same technic I used for tree-leaves. Normal map to normal channel, Deffuse to deffuse, and I masked the resault by using the alpha channel and a vertex color through an add-er.
                  About foliage layers... I'm afraid that I've no idea how to do it in UDK yet. In any case I'll try to use a different method from the one I've already tried cause besides the lighting issues the whole thing also brings down game's framerate (even with 256 textures...) and that won't be nice for large levels.
                  Okay, let's google "foliage layer". Back to school again lol.

Comment

Are you ticking the checkbox in the material telling it that its used on SpeedTrees as well as StaticMeshes?

Can you post a image of your material? Sometimes its just simple things.

Comment

Yes I do.

I really don't get the problem with grass since the **** leaves work fine although I use the same tehnic for them.

Anyway. Here's a very very basic (testing) version of my material setup:

Comment

I think you must add the Vertex Color to the Alpha channel of the diffuse texture and put the result to the Opacity Mask. I don't know of that is causing your issue, just try it.

Comment

Originally posted by eAlex79 View Post
                          I think you must add the Vertex Color to the Alpha channel of the diffuse texture and put the result to the Opacity Mask. I don't know of that is causing your issue, just try it.
                          That was my original setup. This is a test one. the resaults in game is 100% the same (as far as that concerns my issue with lightmass). :0\

Comment

Material looks fine... so it must be your light setup. What kind of lights are in there?

ADDED: I just tried a SpeedTree on a simple plane using all light types with and without Lightmass and they are lighting fine. SpeedTrees do not work with dynamic shadowing so that may be your problem is you are trying to do so. But as far as I know, the engine just uses the static shadow paths for them regardless of how you have it set up.

Comment

Just a simple dominant light in a "testing-objects" level. I tried using a simple U light as well though in a diferent level... No luck" :0/
                              I believe though that there's something wrong with either my mesh (Mesh image from max) or my grass structure in speed tree. (which is as simple as it can be. I just added leaves and replaced their original mesh with the one I made in max).
                              Three days wasted on this thing and I'm pretty sure that it's something very simple I'm missing here lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X