• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make snow

How do I make snow

This tutorial I could not help

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Mater...rial.html#Snow

That covers making snow for a floor texture. Are you wanting to make falling snow from the sky?

Comment

If you do, you want to look into Particle effects...

Comment

this tutorial was made for rain, but it's the same concept

Comment

I want to make snow on the ground is not the material it's snowing

pls helpme

http://www.abload.de/img/snowsnowkged.jpg

Comment

You'll want to take a look at the particle effects. making a material will not make something that looks like its snowing (unless of course you have something wayyyyy in the back of the level and apply it so it gives the allusion of its snowing.)

So best way, get an image of some snow, or even just a small resolution white dot (128x128)
            -go into content browser
            -Right click and click new particle effect
            -make sure your snow dot is a material, select it
            - then in cascade I believe you right click and hit add (sorry if this is incorrect)
            -Change some values to the sprite or add them under its options below.

I know those instructions are very VAGUE, but they will get you started.

Comment

If you want it on the ground covering everything then you don't want to use particle effects. Use a foliage volume (check out the tutorial on hourences, he uses bio-blobs but its the same thing). That way it will cover everything in snow and it'll look quite nice. To bolster this effect you can add a particle effect or a series of transparent meshes of falling snow depending on if it's in the distance or reachable.

Comment

You've changed the material in such a way that it doesn't resemble snow as much as you want. Firstly, your normal map doesn't look like it has enough definition, it's going to look flat. Secondly, in the material from epic, they have their Surface specular colour/brightness at what looks like a dark green/blue. You, however, have yours at 0,0,0. Add some colour in there. The same goes for your sparkle texture, you have either tiled it too much or you need to find a bigger, more contrasting texture to use.

I can't really tell if the specular is any good at the moment because you need to add more definition to your normal map. You could also try bumping up your multiplier for your sparkles to make them bloom and really stand out. Try changing them and see what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by micahpharoh View Post
                  this tutorial was made for rain, but it's the same concept

Nice tutorial !!

Comment

Originally posted by Piranhi View Post
                    You've changed the material in such a way that it doesn't resemble snow as much as you want. Firstly, your normal map doesn't look like it has enough definition, it's going to look flat. Secondly, in the material from epic, they have their Surface specular colour/brightness at what looks like a dark green/blue. You, however, have yours at 0,0,0. Add some colour in there. The same goes for your sparkle texture, you have either tiled it too much or you need to find a bigger, more contrasting texture to use.

I can't really tell if the specular is any good at the moment because you need to add more definition to your normal map. You could also try bumping up your multiplier for your sparkles to make them bloom and really stand out. Try changing them and see what you get.
                    I will second this to a healthy extent.

Comment

This snow material seems to lack some major points. I don't see any transmissive or subsurface effects on the shader. Snow is a very light absorbing substance in nature, it absorbs light and reflects it on the edges, its also got dark as well as light green/blue tints in extending from and to its deep surfaces to the thinner outer surfaces, also the shadows casted from snow are never dark black they always have a tint of blue and green to them and they are almost never very sharp even on extreme lighting conditions. due to its again absorbing features, think of human skin and you'll get an idea.
                      Hope this helps people here.

Cheers

Comment

here is a fantastic tutorial as well

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Mater...rial.html#Snow

Comment

That's the one he linked in the first post... :S

Comment

Working...
                          X