Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change impact sounds?

Hi everyone.
    I have been playing with Unreal editor since UT3, so my experience isn't that vast.

I have always wonder - but was never able t- change the sound of impact. By impacts I mean footsteps, bullets, etc when hitting meshes or materials.
    I assume that the sound played is associated with the material. But how is it possible to change this?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this

Not an expert on this, but I think you have to change the Physical Material applied to the surfaces, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
      Not an expert on this, but I think you have to change the Physical Material applied to the surfaces, etc...
      Yes this is correct. Now which dropdown box is it? I cannot remember.

Comment

Footsteps and jump landing sounds are determined by the UTPawnSoundGroup a UTPawn is set to use, and depend on the physics material associated with the surface involved (set in the material editor and/or the mesh editor I believe). The sounds themselves can be changed in UnrealScript by creating a UTPawnSoundGroup subclass, altering the sounds in its defaultproperties and assigning it to the game's pawn class(es).

I believe other impacts aren't implemented to make use of this information, so always use the same sound regardless of surface type - it doesn't matter so much in UT3 because most weapons are explosive or energy, so the sound depends on them more than the hit surface. It is possible to implement this in UnrealScript though (I did it for Nightblade).

Comment

i am also interested in the answer

- is it possible to change the running player sound ? and how ?

@CupcakeMan : sorry

Comment

have a look at the UT3 code for the weapons + vehicles it show where and how the impact sounds are called

Comment

Not sure but can't all the impacts sounds can be over ridden in the 'Physical Material' properties and then attached to the Material itself?

Comment

Working...
              X