Can't walk through a fractured mesh post fracture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't walk through a fractured mesh post fracture

So I hooked up a hole in a (BSP) wall and placed a fractured mesh in it similar to that in the sample UDK map.

Once I break the mesh apart I can't walk through the hole. I went back and forth between my mesh and the sample map's mesh properties to see if there were any differences and I couldn't find any. Before I placed the mesh to cover up the hole I created in the BSP, I could pass through the hole.

I'm pretty sure it's some simple **** that I'm overlooking. Any ideas?

disabled "use simple box/line collision" in the static mesh editor for the fractured mesh.

Comment

The thing you have to understand about fractured meshes is that they are static meshes. Static meshes cannot change their collision so the collision of the original mesh is the collision after being fractured. This means even if all the chunks of the mesh have been fractured and are no longer blocking the hole in the wall you made, the collision is still there blocking it. This is why you pretty much have to always have some of the chunks remain or you need a core mesh...or disable collision altogether on the mesh and use some other method for the collision that can be modified (like a dynamic blocking volume).

Comment

Thank you sir

You are a gentleman and a scholar

Comment

A bit stupid solution in base. is there some dynamic blocking volume tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
            disabled "use simple box/line collision" in the static mesh editor for the fractured mesh.
            Ah finally! Thanks for the info. It works.

Comment

Working...
            X