Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well well well, problems came to me....(Terrain material bug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
    You have limit of total of 16 or so textures on whole terrain. That includes normal maps, diffuse etc. This rainbow is way that editor says you have too many. I think this is because of hardware limitations, or maybe directx. Very easy to encounter it when you use material systems.
    WOW, we were writing in same time I guess :P , ty for answer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok , I tried a couple of things, and indeed, it works, I had to lower Instructions, as Piranhi said, and then Recache shaders maps,but something I don't understand, is why there is a maximum of instruction? anyway...PROBLEM SOLVED

edit: Found Exactly What I needed on UDN:

Material Complexity: Exceeding the Texture Samplers or Too Many Instructions

The terrain system in Unreal Engine 3 uses the GPU to perform the mesh rendering and texturing, therefore, the capabilities of the rendering is limited to the feature list and performance of the GPU unit, such as Fill Rate, the Pixel Shader version and number of Pixel Shader Engines, the number of Texture Samplers, and Texture Mapping Units (TMU's).

The terrain mesh is divided into rectangular blocks of patches based on the Terrain.MaxComponentSize property. For example, a MaxComponentSize of 16 results in each block of 16x16 patches of terrain managed as a discrete mesh rendering call (a DrawMesh call). Each discrete mesh rendering call is also limited to the number of textures that can be managed by the GPU's total number of Texture Samplers. So the total number of Texture Samplers for the Pixel Shader version determines the total number of textures that can be rendered within each terrain component. If this number of Texture Samplers available is exceeded on a terrain component, the terrain will render a multicolor error texture.

For each terrain layer setup there will always be three Texture Samplers reserved for the standard lightmaps (for the three light directions to support normal maps), or one Texture Sampler for a "simple" lightmap for low detail fallback on PCs only. Consoles do not support the simple lightmap so they always require three Texture Samplers for lightmaps. In addition to this, each terrain TextureMaterial item in the TerrainLayerSetup(s) requires a weight map that determines where on the terrain patches that specific texture layer is to be rendered. Each weight map is an 8-bit grayscale mask, so it requires one bitplane of an ARGB 32-bit texture, and these are packed four bitplanes to a texture as ARGB channels. So a single composite weight map texture can manage the weight maps for up to four texture layers.

An example terrain setup such as six different texture layers would require the following number of Texture Samplers:

* three lightmap Texture Samplers
    * six texture layer Texture Samplers
    * two weight map Texture Samplers, one using all four bitplanes, one using only two bitplanes

Note that on low-end video systems, the terrain layering will fall back to a simple low detail version that uses one lightmap and simplified fallback textures.

When designing the terrain layer setup, if the terrain displays the error texture, the method to alleviate this is to reduce the number of discrete textures per component. This can be done by one or more of the following:

* remove unnecessary detail textures
    * combine multiple grayscale detail textures into the bitplanes of a single ARGB texture
    * remove unnecessary normalmap textures
    * remove one or more diffuse texture layers
    * reduce the total number of discrete diffuse textures by re-using one or more diffuse textures for multiple layers, such as using only one sand texture but use Material Expressions to provide any additional coloring or brightness instead of using two discrete texture variations
    * combine custom grayscale masks used for macros and alphamaps into bitplanes of a single texture
    * combine multiple textures into single texture quadrants as outlined in one of the techniques below
    * simplify material expression design to reduce the total instruction count
    * replace some terrain detailing with staticmeshes if appropriate such as cliffs so that the overall texture count can be decreased

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have limit of total of 16 or so textures on whole terrain. That includes normal maps, diffuse etc. This rainbow is way that editor says you have too many. I think this is because of hardware limitations, or maybe directx. Very easy to encounter it when you use material systems.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok apparently, In error message, it says: Terrain Material : missing shader map - Terrain material ressource : (says every material that I use)

did some research on UDN : http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MapErrors.html
    It says I should press RM button in terrain editor...Gonna try now

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what do you mean by my material is too complicated, Cause This material has only diffuse attached to a texture, and this same texture attached to specularity, and normal texture to normal node...not complex at all...and it still does the same things

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your material has too many textures or is too complicated, try and tone it down.

Leave a comment:

• Well well well, problems came to me....(Terrain material bug)

My first problem: I've added 3 more new terrain material, and then I was going to paint my terrain but, lucky me, I had a new problem:

Then I tried to Build geometry, and had this message:
    TERRAIN MATERIAL: total texture count = 16 on terrainmaterialresource: (then it say every material I use) but I only use 8 material!?

Plz help
Working...
X