No announcement yet.

Problem with shadows in my level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to increase the tesselation of your terrain mesh to get better control of it.

Comment

Why increase tessellation when you can just increase lightmap resolution?

Comment

Sorry thought you still had that floating error.

Comment

well i tried everything.
          to increase lightmap resolution to 16, i had to increase the Max Tesselation Level to 16...
          and instead of building everything in 1 and half minutes, it now takes more than 5 minutes and the shadow is still wrong...( a little better but wrong)
          does everyone have this problem when you create a terrain, dominant directional light and a static mesh?

Comment

You dont have to increase max tesselation to 16. Just check box above lightmap resolution (override or something like that).
            And yes, you will never get perfect shadows with Lightmap. Its sad but true ;/.

It's "feature" of the engine. You can use dynamic lighting for every mesh, but this eliminates GI and AO, which looks really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by iniside View Post
              You dont have to increase max tesselation to 16. Just check box above lightmap resolution (override or something like that).
              And yes, you will never get perfect shadows with Lightmap. Its sad but true ;/.

It's "feature" of the engine. You can use dynamic lighting for every mesh, but this eliminates GI and AO, which looks really bad.
              but this problem will only happen if i use a terrain, wont it?
              because with a simple brush, the shadows are good.
              seems like i will have to make the terrain outside of udk...
              well thanks everyone for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Eskovas View Post
                but this problem will only happen if i use a terrain, wont it?
                because with a simple brush, the shadows are good.
                seems like i will have to make the terrain outside of udk...
                well thanks everyone for the help
                No it also happens with vurshes you need to increase lm resolution also (from 32 to 8-4).

Making terrain outside udk wont help, because it's still lightmapped ;p.

Comment

nah bottom right pic you can see the shadow is still going around the object. such a weird problem, never seen anything like that.

Comment

well just to update, i cant get the shadows correct...

heres what i tried(just to show the diferences):
                    (Note: both objects are at the same height)

this is when i dont change anything

this is when i increased the lightmap resolution to 16

now the shadows look better but are still wrong, but the first build takes 30 seconds, and the second build takes 3 minutes

so everyone has this problem right? its not just me... because if it is just me, maybe i should reinstall UDK...

Comment

The best way to find that out is probably to release your version of the map, and let us rebuild lighting to see if we get the same result.

Comment

I have same problem. Check UDK maps provided by Epic, they have exatly same problem. It's common. And it's due LightMaps. Dynamic shadows dont have such problems..

Comment

This is the same issue seen here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=707610

We know about the issue and are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by NightClucker View Post
                            This is the same issue seen here: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=707610

We know about the issue and are working on it.
                            thanks for the reply,
                            i guess we will have to wait till the problem is fixed

Comment

Working...
                            X