No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 3 level design tutorial to be presented at GDC 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a powerpoint file. Right click, save as.

Comment

Awesome, cheers Flak

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
        That's a powerpoint file. Right click, save as.
        I know, but some of the slides have nothing but a big gray square in the middle. I assumed they were videos, but maybe they were trying to show big gray pictures for some reason?

Comment

Yeah I'm guessing quite a few of the images/placeholders in it were videos. I knew it was useful to make the level out of BSP to get a general feel for it, but I've never seen a massive truck made out of BSP haha, so cool.

Comment

# GDC 2010: Zero to Millions: Building an XLSP for Gears of War 2, Dan Schoenblum (PDF)
            # GDC 2010: Prototyping Based Design: A Better, Faster Way to Design, Lee Perry (PDF)
            # GDC 2010: Designing Shadow Complex, Donald Mustard (PDF)
            # GDC 2010: Bringing UE3 to Apple's iPhone Platform, Josh Adams (PPTX) [Not available, bad link]

And more (but old)... here.

(Sorry, not realy new, it's just the downloads are available on the epic website.)

Comment

Finally got things posted: http://www.slideshare.net/LevelDesig...er-interactive

Note that this is one of 6 presentations (they are all chain linked I believe) that was done over an 8 hour day so you might miss some points as they were more talking than showing on slides. The whole presentation was great fun to take part in, and was followed by a 4 hour QA session. Long day!

Cheers,

-Jim

Comment

Also just got this awesome E-mail from slideshare (thanks everyone!!):

"GDC 2010 - Level Design in a Day Part 1. Preproduction: Ed Byrne, Creative Director, Zipper Interactive" is being tweeted more than any other document on SlideShare right now. So we've put it on the homepage of SlideShare.net (in the "Hot on Twitter" section).

Well done, you!

- SlideShare Team

Comment

That's great news! And thanks for the presentations.

Comment

Yeah i would realy like to see narration for those slides. But looks nobody have recored presentations .

Comment

At the bottom of the slideshare window you can tab over to see the speaker notes, if that helps. Some people notes are more thorough than others; I flushed mine out a bit post-conference, but didn't dictate word for word. Tutorials were not recorded, however, for the GDC vault.

Comment

Someone is doing a full writeup with a good amount of detail. They're not perfect, but when paired with the slides and notes you can get a pretty good recreation of the event:

http://worldofleveldesign.com/catego...vain-douce.php

Comment

This makes me wish that i was there even more.

Comment

thanks!

Thanks for posting that!

it is often hard to find leveldesign theory on the internet.
                            plenty of tutorials on how to use engines etc.

but the thoughtprocess behind leveldesign,
                            the organisation of space and why it is organised that way is often undocumented.
                            (aside from some bungie and blizzard keynotes)
                            and now this pops up, great

i will read into this thoroughly once get home!

thanks again.

Freek

Comment

Oh yeah, that World of Level Design site is amazing. Kudos to Alex for that!

ariel ~

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                                Someone is doing a full writeup with a good amount of detail. They're not perfect, but when paired with the slides and notes you can get a pretty good recreation of the event:

http://worldofleveldesign.com/catego...vain-douce.php
                                Thanks a bunch for the post.

Comment

Working...
                                X