"static" fractured meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"static" fractured meshes?

Is it possible to do fractured mesh, then just hide selected pieces and use that "broken" mesh instead of the original? In the way that player cannot further destroy it by shooting at it?
    That would be an easy way for me to do static broken wall,columns, etc..

You can set it to use structural support meshes inside of it if that's what you mean.

Comment

not exactly.. in static mesh editor i wold like to fracture my mesh, then hide top half pieces of the, lets say, column.. save that mesh (only bottom pieces) and place it in the world like that - broken. Or maybe there is a way to place fractured mesh into the world, go into game and shoot top pieces off of it, then save that state of the mesh?? [wishfull thinking]

Comment

I don't know about that. If there's someone who knows about UnrealScript or better kismet then me then they may be able to help you, though.

Comment

Could you just not fracture it within your modeller? you could probably find an 'auto-fracture' type script for most packages i would guess. I think you've already tried this, so i'm guessing there is a specific reason you'd want UDK to handle it.

Regards,
          Matt.

Comment

Sure, could do it in maya, easy, but if there would be a way to do it in UDK, i would just do one wall or column, then place it in the world, see where it needs to be broken, and just hide (or whatever..) the pieces i wouldnt need.. if i would do it in maya, its kinda "final", when i model it certain way, its like that, changing it is not that easy as just hiding few chunks.. if i break it into chunks in maya and just delet chunks i dont need im afraid there will always be some artifacts where visible chunks are stacked up to one another..
            Well.. why do i theorise about it.. why dont i just try it in maya and see how that works )

Comment

If you select the fractured parts you don't want, and then invert selection, you can set wether they are destroyable or not. As to making them destroyed on level start, i am not sure.

Comment

Doing it as a fractured mesh will surely cost you performance vs a facturing it in the modeller program, so its not really adviceable even if it was possible.

Comment

Working...
                X