Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Release] Level Design Scale Reference

Hello Everyone,

I saw people asking for scale references as they wish to do the Level Designs in Max or Maya and they dun want to end up with off-scale assets.

So, i release this to my friends here at UDK Community. Please remember, I am not the original author of the attached File. Credits goes to the original author.

Download Here

Thanks.

Admin~K9Gaming.

Here is the LightWave 3D version of that file. This is just altered so of course I cannot take any credit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3083393/LW_to_UDK_scale.zip

Comment

What about Softimage XSI?

Comment

Thanks! This will come in handy.

Comment

Yes, many thanks for this. I'm a modo man, so i'm hoping the fbx will play nicely for me as I have had to scale up all my previously made models by 3000% to roughly fit in with things (that said, it's probably me miss-setting gameunits etc)

Regards,
          Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingbrickwork View Post
            Yes, many thanks for this. I'm a modo man, so i'm hoping the fbx will play nicely for me
            The one I attached is an .LWO file so you should be able to load it fine in modo.

Comment

Here's a small tutorial made by one of my fellow teammembers.

Originally posted by Zedblade
              For starters, lets go over how to set up a Maya Scene so that it matches the units of the Unreal Engine.

First go to Window -> Settings/Preferances -> Preferance and then Settings on the left of the box that popped up. In settings and under Working Units and next to where it says Linear there should be a drop-down box. Make sure this box is set ot Centimeters. Save the changes

Next go to Display -> Grid Options and set up the grid to be displayed as follows;

Length and Width: 1024
              Grid lines Every: 128
              Subdivisions: 8

Save changes.

Now you might need to change the camera options. In a viewport, select View -> Select Camera and then press ctrl + A to bring up the camera's properties. Here you will need to change the Far Clip Plane to some insane number just to be safe. I usually just type an extra 4 or 5 0s, so it will be 10000000.00.
              Should also apply to other 3D tools.

Comment

Nice to see its been helpful to the community

Comment

does this belong in the stdplugins folder for 3ds max?

Comment

Nope, its just a 3D reference Model. Can be used with any 3D Suite that support FBX, or you can DL, any of the converted formats provided by our friends in this thread

Comment

Ahhh okay, Thanks

Comment

A cubic unit in pretty much all 3D apps is the same. A character in UDK is about 80 units tall. if we assume that this character is 6 ft tall it would mean that 16 units = 1 ft breaking it down to one unit would be 3/4 of an inch. So in your 3d app if you have made a humanoid character, all you should need to worry about is that the character is about 80 units tall for it to match the character size in UDK. A wall 128 units in height would be 8 ft. Pretty simple to remember.

Comment

I tried your lightwave file opened it up, put everything on the same layer, tripled the geometry and exported as a Collada (.dae) file. When i imported into UDK it came in extremely small. Am I missing something here?

Comment

The link to the level design scale reference is down, would you mind reuploading it?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by philnolan3d View Post
                              Here is the LightWave 3D version of that file. This is just altered so of course I cannot take any credit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3083393/LW_to_UDK_scale.zip
                              Hello Phil, just curious, do you use the FBX format to export from Lightwave to UDK? Did you face any trouble with smoothing groups and such?

Comment

Working...
                              X