Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitch when making a streaming level visible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitch when making a streaming level visible.

Hi all,

I've been messing around streaming levels in via Kismet, and can't seem to get rid of the half-second hitch that occurs when a level is made visible. I've been using the examples on the wiki as well as the chapter on streaming in the Mastering Unreal Technology book as reference.

Currently I am streaming in a level based on a touch event with a collision volume. I have a "Stream Level" action followed by a "Change Level Visibility" action.

The level that I'm streaming in consists of a Terrain and a few static meshes.

Through a bit of trial and error, I've found that the level loads in the background smoothly and then the hitch occurs when the Change Level Visibility action executes.

Through my reading, it sounds like level streaming is meant to be less noticeable to the player. I must be missing something in either my Kismet sequence or my level setup.

Has anyone run into this? And if so, how did you get past it?

Thanks in advance!

The more actors and larger the terrain the worse the hitch when the level becomes visible.

It's also worse in Play-In-Editor (PIE) than standalone as PIE doesn't do any streaming it just changes the level visibility.

If you want to test streaming then always test it in a standalone game and not running from the editor.

Use "Stat Levels" to find out the level status and how long it took to load it and "stat fpschart" to watch for hitches.

Comment

Thanks schizoslayer,

I'll see what I can figure out using the stat commands.

Comment

Playing from the game menu, the hitch is a little worse =).

I have just been spending time trying to figure out how to "seamlessly" stream in a level. I had thought that there was something that I was doing wrong.

I had assumed that the loading of the level would be more intensive than the change in visibility, but I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Does the change in visibility require that the geometry be moved to graphics memory?

Comment

Working...
        X