Vray Light-Map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vray Light-Map?

Lightmapping in unreal is very usefull and handy, But I like to have more control over GI in my light-maps.
    So Is it possible to bake light-maps with Vray or other renderer in 3ds Max and then import and assign them to static meshes?

It's doable but requires quite a bit of work and in that regard has quite diminishing returns. What type of control do you need anyway?

Comment

I can get softer and more realistic results with vray, specially for detail objects and corners.(It depends on my experience)
      for example I can use image based rendering and many others in a more convenient way.
      It's doable but requires quite a bit of work
      What kind of work? How can I do this?

Comment

You could bake them to textures lol, but that might resort to having everything unlit for them to show up haha.

I could see it now, the entire map being completely emissive with baked shadows onto the textures of your meshes. Probably would look bad *** honestly lol, but you wouldnt be able to interact with it.

Comment

Two new things in the material editor that I don't recognize is the CustomLightingDiffuse output and the Lightmass Replace node. Maybe worth checking out?

Comment

I could see it now, the entire map being completely emissive with baked shadows onto the textures of your meshes. Probably would look bad *** honestly lol, but you wouldnt be able to interact with it.
            Why am I unable to interact with it?
            I think If I multiply (or a bit complicated algorithem) light-maps with diffuse maps, I could get a reasonable result without using "Emissive" channel? isn't right?

Comment

But you would have to make it unlit so that unreal doesn't create and apply its own lightmaps for the level.

Comment

But you would have to make it unlit so that unreal doesn't create and apply its own lightmaps for the level.
                Thanks for your tip.

Comment

Originally posted by eh_gm View Post
                  Thanks for your tip.
                  Yeah, that's the problem really. I don't think UDK allows you to import your own lightmaps. Instead you have to blend the lightmaps with textures in photoshop, and then import those.

Comment

Or just blend them in the material. It is fully doable for a fully static scene and would look really kick ***. The issue becomes dynamic actors. Characters wont be lit correctly, but if you are doing an architectural walk through or something like that you should definitely try using vray lightmaps to see how it looks.

Comment

I don't think UDK allows you to import your own lightmaps. Instead you have to blend the lightmaps with textures in photoshop, and then import those.
                      you can multiply your lightmap with your diffuse texture in material to get a basic lightmapping. this way you can do it without using photoshop.

Or just blend them in the material.
                      I Agree.

The issue becomes dynamic actors. Characters wont be lit correctly
                      This is the biggest problem for complete lightmaps.But if you only bake GI on your meshes, this is not the case.

Comment

Working...
                      X