Hanging ropes, chains, wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging ropes, chains, wires.

Hi, I have searched both the UDK and UT3 modding forums looking for a solution for creating wires, ropes or chains.
    The closest I came was a link to utmodding.com which now reference a Starcraft site.

Basically what I want is to be able to make wires and cables like the ones you see in a normal HL2 map, hanging around, swaying in the wind.
    Depending on the environment I don't even need them to be influenced by physics as long as there is an easy way of creating the hanging part.

I am wondering if its possible to create these from within unrealED?
    Some hints suggest the use of an KActor but doesn't describe the steps necessary.

I'm aware of making wires in an external program like Maya or 3DsMax is possible but would prefer an UnrealED solution.

Help, hints or links would be greatly appreciated.

Excuse the bad english, I'm a non-native

Best regards, Jorgen.

Hmmm...I'm new to UDK, but I'd suggest looking at cloth simulation. I'm not sure if that would work, but there's a chance you can use cloth simulation to achieve the desired effect.

Comment

In the past I have achieved similar effect cheaply by using a simple animated mesh. Create your wire mesh, with a simple 'sway' animation and import with actorX, I'm not sure how this works today with UDK, I must confess, but in UE2.5 it was a matter of creating a simple actor which looped the anim.

Comment

You can create a simple rope mesh (cylinder or plane) with a few bones in it, import this as a dynamic Actor and then set all the bones but the ones on the sides to be "cloth" bones.
        Using his method will allow your cable to swing depending on your Wind parameter in your map.

Comment

Thank's for the great suggestions guys, I'll look into cloth-phys.

Jerc > is what you describe possible to do completly from within UnrealED or do I have to use 3DsMax to create the mesh and bones?

No takers on the KActor solution?

Comment

A KActor is a rigid body. Rigid. Not very much like a rope or chain, unless you constrain a bunch of them together. But then you may as well create a skeletal mesh to make a pysics asset from and use that instead. If they don't need to react to anything, the animated mesh approach sounds like the best solution. If they do, a physics asset created from a skeletal mesh with a few bones would probably be the least intensive. Cloth could work as well, but it would eat up more processing.

Comment

keyword Spline mesh in the UDN...i think that will help the setup.

Comment

Thanks Jeff for clearing up the KActor thing, and giving further pointers.

So just to be clear, there is no way of creating a rope(or wire) using UnrealED alone?
                I have to create the skeletal mesh in an external app (3DsMax), import it in UnrealED and apply the proper actor to control the bones?

Comment

from what I am getting this is correct, you would want to create your rope or chain etc. in 3ds or another modeling program, add a few bones to it usually one or two, name one bone "rigid" and another "Rope" or chain etc.
                  then apply the skin modifier to the rope mesh.
                  select bones and then edit the envelopes, you would want the "rigid" bone to have absolute control over the ends of your wire, so that those parts would not sway in the wind, where they would be connected to a building etc.
                  for an example raven made a cloth physics tutorial on youtube that I watched the other day to learn this.

Comment

One way to do this is to make a skeletal mesh for the chain/cable, put some bones along it, make a PhysicsAsset for it, mark the bones that need to be 'fixed' to the world as fixed in PhAT, and then place it as a KAsset actor in the level.

KActor is a static mesh, using one rigid body. KAsset is a skeletal mesh, using multiple rigid bodies to drive bones around (like a ragdoll).

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I have begun experimenting with mesh,bones and physics.
                      Hopefully I'll have some sshots to share later

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCS01H_7ilk

I hope this helps. I am also interested in making ropes. I was thinking of making a boxing ring.

Comment

a dangling scenic rope, naturally moveable, was fully covered in the 3dBuzz tutorials.

Comment

3DBuzz Physics tutorial explain it i think...

Comment

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Phy...reation_1.html

Comment

Working...
                              X