Should I mitre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Awesome, that's good to know. I suppose it makes sense then that a Subtractive map would work just as well. When you use a brush to carve in source it sure messes up the BSP you're working on, I never use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    afaik ue3's bsp compiling process automatically joins up and optimises all geometry appropriately, no matter how different brushes are intersecting or touching. so this wont make any difference at all.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    from my understanding games using the UT3 (UDK) Engine almost always never use brushes anymore - or very very rarely do. This engine does automatic culling/hide with meshes to keep framerate high - kinda like the hint/area portal tools in Source

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For static meshes yes, definitely, but that is the artist responsibility. For BSP, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When joining corners in BSP:
    starting with your brushes like this:

but editing the vertices to do this:

That way there are no surfaces being rendered by the engine that aren't visible to the player (in the corners anyway)

My question is, is this necessary in UE3? or even if it isn't, is there a performace advantage optimising this way? Its a big help in Source especially on larger levels.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You might need to explain what you mean because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Should I mitre?

Should I mitre?

or mitER if you're not canadian or british

In the Source engine It seems that mitering is a huge part of optimisation. In the 3dbuzz vids that came with UT3 they make no effort to do so. Does it help?
Working...
X