Is it possible to import whole levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to import whole levels?

Hi there, I'm making a game involving procedurally generated levels and was wondering if UDK could be used for it. Basically I'm wondering is there any way to import whole scenes into the level editor e.g. COLLADA scenes. Or are there any other ways you could think of doing this with UDK? I can't find an exact specification of .ut3 files atm but I don't imagine creating one of those from code would be easy in any case.

I need an answer to this too. I created a whole city in 3DS Max a couple of years ago, now I have UDK, theres finally a use for the city, but how you import it as a geometry, is something I have no clue about.

Any help would be great, wheres all the replies, this threads a year old but nothing lol.

Comment

It is totally possible. Just start importing as .ase.
      The tricks will be in creating good optimization and materials looking good.
      Optimization will be achieved through breaking it all up into bits. This will allow for instancing and more light maps and object culling.
      Creating materials for a static mesh terrain can be a bit tricky compared to using terrain and just painting materials on.

Comment

Import isn't a problem the export is. None of the 3d app I know can do it natively - but it can be done using a plugin or an addon.

You would have to export/import: mesh geometry with vertex props (ase/fbx) + SRT for geometry instances (t3d) + brushes (t3d) + efx (t3d) + lights (t3d) + (eventually) entities with SRT (t3d). What you can't is to import materials or material instances.

Comment

I have done this with the city of Monaco, check here; http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=181867

I placed the pivot of every unique mesh to 0,0,0. That way when I imported, the pivot only needed snapped to the grid for perfect placement.

Comment

Working...
          X