Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God Rays PostProcess

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to create a GodRays post process material.

To achieve this effect, i need to access the position of the light in ScreenSpace. Since it seems that I can't access it, I tried using the LensFlareSourceDistance, it seems to work, but only within a Lens Flare Actor.

Is there a way to access light coordinates by using the Custom node maybe ?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you just mean a post process material for lightbeams?

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to do god rays with a mesh like other light beams?

Comment

I remember I've seen something likt you want to achieve in old trailer for Elveon, so it should be possible to do.

Comment

Yes a post process material to create dynamic light beams. I'll have a look at the code in the material editor and see if I can link this to my custom hlsl code in the Custom node.

Comment

Like DazJW said wouldn't it be easier to use a mesh with a light rays material applied to it? If you want it animated a texture panner (forgot the correct name) node in the material editor should work.

Comment

I think he means light rays like crysis has. Brothers in Arms Hells Highway has dynamic light rays using lens flares but I'm pretty sure that was programmed special :P

Comment

Yup, the whole point is to have light rays that could work in any map, anywhere, without having to place manually light beam meshes. I'll keep this topic updated if I find a way to acheive this

Comment

Originally posted by Jerc View Post
                  Yup, the whole point is to have light rays that could work in any map, anywhere, without having to place manually light beam meshes. I'll keep this topic updated if I find a way to acheive this
                  Looking forward to that

Comment

I'll be watching this thread for sure, this would be awesome.

Comment

Take a look in the DM-Deck map - near the two lifts that take the player to the rocket launcher (redeemer in full UT3) the back wall as two columns of broken windows with God Rays (light beams) coming through them - maybe that will help you with setting up this effect.

Comment

Subscribed for instant email notifications
                        now there's people counting on you, don't let us down

Comment

Originally posted by chrustec View Post
                          Take a look in the DM-Deck map - near the two lifts that take the player to the rocket launcher (redeemer in full UT3) the back wall as two columns of broken windows with God Rays (light beams) coming through them - maybe that will help you with setting up this effect.
                          nope, just light cones aka static meshes made to look like volumetric lights.

Comment

hmmm Ok Ill take another look tonight when I get home from work. If memory serves its done off of an emitter. At least in that map anyway - it MIGHT be a mesh emitter but cant look at it atm so I will double check tonight

Comment

Done !

I will still tweak it a little and add a lot more samples to make it smoother.

Comment

Working...
                              X