Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    hey guys,

ive got a problem where lightmass is adding unsightly green blobs all over my lightmaps when rendering in lightmass - even at production settings.

ive put a few meshes with lightmap uvs in this map, added 1 light, 1 importancevolume then built. i cant make it go away! other tests of lightmass have come out fine, using only a couple of meshes.

i read this thread and updated to the latest UDK release but the problem is still there - any clues? is it a feature?!

win xp 32, 2gb ram

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.affuniverse.com/artdepot/public/Misc/17.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is awesome , thanks odedge for the info , you contributed a lot over the years . Thanks for all your tutorials and for spreading the word on others .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the explanation ffejnosliw. Hourences just came out with an intro tutorial on the lightmass and after following it, understand that basics. I must say, this is pretty darn coll to have light being able to bounce off surfaces.

With the UDK version of Sanctuary, it's very well lit (some areas might be a bit too bright). But there are some areas that are too dark, which could be fixed with a skylight or just some light actors.

Really wish this was added to UT 3!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Odedge View Post
    On a similar note. Is Lightmass like an advanced ambient lighting system that replaces the skylight actor? Does it use any of the placeable light actors (directional lights) to help calculate the lighting.

Which leads me the question, does Lightmass work well for night time lighting?
    Lightmass is a global illumination lighting system, meaning it calculates the bouncing of light off surfaces. It works with all the normal light actors and also can turn static meshes with emissive materials into lights. It doesn't eliminate every use of the skylight, but a single directional light in an outdoor map will do a very good job of providing the majority of the lighting you would need. It can work just fine for nighttime lighting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    That's weird, is it related to what service pack you use? I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3 and I have no problems what so ever with Lightmass/Swarm.
    I have XP Pro SP3 too. I followed one of the options that vogel linked to and it did help a lot. BUT, in either the preview or production modes, there are certain meshes that have some coloring (blue, red, green) on part of the mesh.

At least, it's not like the picture in my original post.

Originally posted by Princess_Die View Post
    No, I am on XP SP3 and had the same thing with Deck. I didn't have the problem with Sanctuary.
    I will try Sanctuary as well, to see if anything is different.

On a similar note. Is Lightmass like an advanced ambient lighting system that replaces the skylight actor? Does it use any of the placeable light actors (directional lights) to help calculate the lighting.

Which leads me the question, does Lightmass work well for night time lighting?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    That's weird, is it related to what service pack you use? I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3 and I have no problems what so ever with Lightmass/Swarm.
    No, I am on XP SP3 and had the same thing with Deck. I didn't have the problem with Sanctuary.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the reply vogel. Will check it out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm afraid this looks like a known issue with XP that is going to be fixed for the next release. It can be fairly random so you might have better luck with another rebuild.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...%20Workarounds

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Lightmass build glitch

Lightmass build glitch

I wasn't sure if this should go in the "Support Tips & Advice" section, so please move if needed.

After playing with the editor, I decided to see how long it would take to build Deck with it's default Lightmass settings. When it was done, the map looks like this...

[shot]http://odedge.com/forums/udk_01.jpg[/shot]

This happened on both preview and production settings. I updated my video card drivers to nVidia's 191.07, with the same results.
Working...
X