Creating menu's for a game from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I don't have a tutorial written, but do you have Flash? If so you're in luck. I made a very simple menu for a game I just decided to scrap and start over. It has a start level button and exit button and a background image. I wouldn't mind sending you the flash file so you can see how I did it. Here's a crash course:

Start a new flash file (after having setup unreal clik and scale form). Import your background image. Start a new layer and create a rectangle and text and change the name to start button or whatever you can remember and add a button modifier. If you know flash you can make the button change when the mouse is over it, etc. Do the same for the exit button on a new layer as well. Go back to the main layer and right click on the start level button and select actions then place this code:

ButtonScript
    on (press)
    {
    Fscommand ("loadmap");
    }

Now enter this for your exit button:

on (press) {
    fscommand("exit")
    }

import your mouse image to a new layer or draw one and modify it to a movie file. then right click and give it this:

onClipEvent (enterFrame)
    {
    _x=_root._xmouse
    _y=_root._ymouse
    }

That will bind it to you mouse position.

Now export your swf into the install/content/flash folder and import it into the content browser.

open the unreal frontend map and go into Kismet. Click on the gfx node and replace the current frontend.swf with yours. add a misc consol command to the out of the gfx and give it the command "open yourmap" without the quotes.

add a fsCommand Node and a console command Node, type "exit" in the fsCommand Node properties, connect the fsCommand Node Out and the Console Command Node in.

Now you must run this from play on pc as the play here option will not allow console commands to run.

Like I said "crash course". There is a lot more details and I'm sure many many other and better ways, but this will get a menu running in less than an hour to get you started. Send me an email (raymondlee306 at yahoo.com) if you need help. I learned how to do this from people here and don't mind returning the favor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anybody know of a more specific tutorial for UDK?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks man you are made of awesome

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://www.moddb.com/members/ambershee/tutorials

The second one demonstrates a mutator menu; but all UIScenes tend to work in pretty much the same way

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Creating menu's for a game from scratch

Creating menu's for a game from scratch

Hi I've been mapping with ut3 for a bit of time now, I know to import textures and I rigged a couple of characters etc etc though from a scripting side I'm just starting out. How to make a menu? Anyone got any tutorials? It would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X