Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New iOS requirements february 2015

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=10202014a

After 1. February 2015, apps must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK, included in Xcode 6 or later.

Does anyone know if current UDK already meet those requirements? If not, it would be nice to have a new UDK build before that date. Otherwise we would be unable to submit to the app store.

Since UDK is precompiled, it doesn't have arm64 already included (it doubles the executable size and then some). We will have to update UDK with 64-bit enabled (Infinity Blade 3 had 64-bit support so it should be trivial unless PhysX causes troubles - I think IB3 didn't use it). I don't yet have a timeframe for an update.

note that the apple requirement only applies to _new_ apps, afaict updates are immune to the requirement.

Comment

Thank you very much for looking into it!

Regarding updates being immune to the requirement, are you sure about that? Because in this thread post #14 in the Apple dev-forum, they claim that the requirements DO apply to updates too. I quote it here:
      Thank you for contacting App Store Developer Support regarding the new requirements for apps submitted after February 1, 2015.

Although the article does not state specifically for app updates, an update to an existing app would still carry these same requirements.

Apps that are currently on the store would not be affected, but updates to them must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK as well as new app submissions.

Please let me know if you have additional questions regarding this inquiry.

For any other questions, please use the Contact Us section in iTunes Connect:
      If you are able to have an UDK-update ready within February however, it would be great!

Comment

Thanks Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Spoondog View Post
          Thanks Josh
          Anything you can do to bring this to Epic's attention would be great Josh, as I have a game that I have worked on full time for a year that will be complete during that time frame!

Comment

I have a game that I have worked on full time for a year that will be complete during that time frame!
            Same here Just over two years work though (in spare time terms). Hoping to get first version done before Feb 1 but with xmas holidays and other real life stuff, I feel like it's going to slip past... so really relying on this being fixable.

Comment

just over a month to go...

???

Comment

I've asked a few weeks ago, and they confirmed that they are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBuilder View Post
                  I've asked a few weeks ago, and they confirmed that they are working on it.
                  THAT is good news!

Comment

we are now down to a couple of weeks or so....

@TheBuilder, you sure about that?

Comment

Yep, I'm getting very concerned myself. My app is nearing completion, but if it gets bounced back from the App Store a few times I could miss the deadline.

Comment

They said they were working on a new compiler which should meet those new requirements. They didn't say if they would meet the deadline though, and given their track record they may not . However, it doesn't mean it won't come.

On a side note, it appears that those new requirement doesn't apply for updates after all. It will be next summer however.

Comment

Hey everyone,

The latest update is that Scaleform and PhysX have been upgraded to 64-bit. All the code is checked in. A new UDK build is coming soon, but a new crash on a couple devices has been found during testing, so we need to fix that before we release the UDK binary.

We'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Comment

thanks for the response Stephen

for those of us waiting for a vehicle fix, from here
                            this update contains no additional work for vehicles.
                            so unless the physx update 'accidentally' fixes them we can say goodbye to our games

and theres no point atm trying to port them over to ue4
                            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...le-Car-Physics
                            so we can say goodbye to the unreal engine altogether (ahem project cough cough anarchy cough)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen.Ellis View Post
                              Hey everyone,

The latest update is that Scaleform and PhysX have been upgraded to 64-bit. All the code is checked in. A new UDK build is coming soon, but a new crash on a couple devices has been found during testing, so we need to fix that before we release the UDK binary.

We'll keep you posted.

Cheers
                              Thanks Stephen!!!

I will probably start to work on a switchover to UE4 after my Jan/February launch, but if I know that I have at least six months where I can publish UDK apps to the App Store, then my bleeding ulcer may not kill me! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X