Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(FIXED) Crashing on iPad4 when loading level-UnSkeletalMesh.cpp(1079)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(FIXED) Crashing on iPad4 when loading level-UnSkeletalMesh.cpp(1079)

Hello all,
    I'm getting new characters into my project and have encountered a show stopping crash, I'm having the exact same crash behavior as detailed here:
    https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...n-a-iOS-device

I'm using Maya 2015 for my characters and I cannot find a straight solution for fixing this in either Maya or UDK.
    Is this error a vertex/weight/ bone influence problem? And if so, how do you fix this?

I've tried using the "Max Bones Per Vertex" setting (lowering it to 2) in the Mesh Simplification tool in the editor, still no go.
    Everything works completely fine in the editor and mobile previewer, but I am at a complete standstill on my device as I cannot test on my iPad4, 3 days now =(

Help PLEASE!

***FIX in my latest post below*****

I've tried changing the MobileBoneWeightCount to 5 (from 2) in both the BaseSystemSettings.ini and in UDKSystemSettings.ini,
    I do a full recompile/rebuild/cook/package and i get yellow warnings:

Warning, bug1 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest
    Warning, bug2 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest
    Warning, bug3 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest
    Warning, bugBig1 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest
    Warning, bugBig2 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest
    Warning, bugBig3 skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (BoneWeightCountLimit:2), redistributing to the strongest

-The game still crashes with the same error as well.
    Where else do i need to change the MobileBoneWeightCount?

Comment

I have similar problem
      https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...-in-UDK-Mobile

Comment

I've come to some kind of fix - basically i installed latest UDK, and in maya I again set max influences to 2 in my skel mesh and re-exported it again.
        so far, so good. my character is working on my iPad4, no warnings or crashes.

In the fresh install, i did not change the mobile bone settings.

I know its not the solution desired, and i dont blame the editor, i think my max influence change to my mesh were just not exporting properly from maya.
        for now im back to work, hope this helps anyone =/

Comment

In our game we successfully have been using rigs on mobile with max influences of 3. (Setting MobileBoneWeightCount=3 in BaseSystemSettings.ini, as well as insuring in Maya that rig uses at most 3 influences per vertext prior to export). We still get the warning in Frontend about "skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform", but in the actual deployed game they work as they should...

That said...I'm not sure if this is your issue, but perhaps the crash is because, while, it can be above 2, perhaps 5 is too high for mobile. If you look at http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingAnimations.html, it mentions that "For the mesh, the maximum number of bone influences per vertex is 4". Perhaps it does not like that you are trying to set it above 4. Have you tried with a skeleton that is max influence 4 along with setting MobileBoneWeightCount=4).

Comment

Working...
          X