X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lighting needs to be rebuilt?

hello
    might as well make a new thread for this

as the title says, i get an on screen warning saying lighting needs to be rebuilt.
    strangely this only occurs on a released app, which is not ideal.
    both of the test udk builds produce this and its only on 1 map.

of course ive rebuilt the lighting, made sure the lighting volume encompasses everything, checked and rechecked, built and rebuilt, set anything i found in the ini's relating to warnings or errors or messages to false, and on the frontend its all set up for final release.

any ideas how to stop the warning?
    anything i might have missed you think?
    even a hack will do, this is the 4th time ive uploaded the app, rebuilding and checking every time, and its getting silly now.

thanks for any fixes, ideas or suggestions

If it only happen on the menu map, maybe try loading another map at first when the game start, then go to the menu map.

Comment

thanks but i dont see how that would stop the warning?

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
        thanks but i dont see how that would stop the warning?
        It's just a simple theory since it only happens on the menu level. Another suggestion would be to try using a copy of your other levels and use that as the menu. Just to check if there is any differences.

Comment

ah ok
          i think the menu level was the only 1 to be changed and rebuilt in the test udk's, cant be certain of that though.
          the whole level has been built from scratch twice and always the warning comes up, frustratingly only on the released app. so i have to wait for apple to review each one.

maybe theres some way of disabling the warning as apposed to fixing it, the level looks and works just fine.
          time to dig right in and disable it at the source maybe, if i can get that far down in script.

Comment

You could try doing the menu level from scratch.

Do you base the level on one of the UDK default maps? I think I heard there were a problem with them earlier (maybe the skydome).

Comment

I've found that if you have a dominant directional light in a level you always get 'lighting needs to be rebuilt'.

I use a normal directional light in my menu (opening map) and I dont get any errors when playing on devices. Also be sure to build with production lighting.

Comment

normal directional light eh
                its worth a try, thank you

Comment

Did you use dominant directional light on the menu level, but not the other levels?

Comment

I had that problem too (had accidentally used a DominantDirectional instead of standard Directional). Was super-weird because it made performance really bad in Shipping, but not Release.

Comment

i used dominant directional lights on all levels.
                      they are all basically one of the template maps.

Comment

I'm sure I read a thread a while ago regarding lighting problems at the template maps, but I can't find it.

Comment

yeah ive read about a few fixes for this but most are for old udk's and have since been 'fixed' by epic, no longer relevant or ive already tried the fix in a previous upload.
                          strange how its only the menu map and only appears once its in the app store for everyone to see.
                          uploaded a version using a normal directional light, will have to wait and see...

Comment

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            it was indeed the dominant directional light.
                            they are now officially BANNED from ios games!

thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X