Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these config files madness

Hi guys
    Is there some place that talks about the different config files? DefaultEngine.ini, DefaultEngineUDK.ini, UDKEngine.ini... I'm going crazy here...trying to figure what fits where although I have made modifications by following tuts.
    Or perhaps we can start sharing some knowledge here. I was unable to find a thread talking about configs anyways. Could be useful for beginners like myself.
    Cheerss

Well, the udn has a brief page about it, and at the bottom it talks about what each one is used for. As for iOS config files, you'll find them kind of scattered around the other udn mobile pages. Sorry not much help. What exactly are you looking for?

-edit- But yeah, it's a huge pain trying to figure out what does what, and which ones you need to change sometimes. Mainly, it's the default engine you'll be changing a lot, for adding your games.

Comment

You need to understand 2 things about them
      1 - Some are computed and some are "default". Default ones will be used to reset your config. Computed ones are the ones that hold you current configuration that will be loaded. All the UDK* are computed, all default* are default. Some Default can be based on another default files.
      2 - If you need to apply a new parameter, put it in Default and computed files because until you erase all the UDK* files, your changes in default won't be taken into account.

Comment

They are a pain yea, even after you've used them a lot you can still get lost. I thought about scripting an INI editor that made it easy to see if something was getting overridden by another INI etc.. never got around to it.

Careful on ios too because there is mobile, and there is iphone. I was getting frustrated one day because my mobile ini changes weren't showing up, and discovered that the iphone ini in the engine\config folder were overriding my mobile defaults.

Comment

HI

Can't put into words how much I hate those INI files.

I had a stab at drawing a diagram to make some sense of it (see attached) - it may contain mistakes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	UDK INI Files.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	3249840

Hope it's of some use

Cheers
          William

Comment

Thanks everybody for all your inputs. I'm finding udk to be fairly daunting to learn by yourself compared to all the other engines I've worked on, especially if you are self learning.
            I guess we all were expecting something better from an engine that provides kismet programming as far as config files were concerned hehe.
            @Talaricoan. yeah I've read the brief page and so far the things I've been wanting to change in config files have been working. As a programmer I felt it was my duty to understand what is where and why? Thats all
            @elvince. I get the 2 things you mentioned. However I'm not sure on what is where and why? Which is what I'm trying to figure out.
            @Spoondog. I had no idea the iphone files were overriding the mobile ones. I thought they were being generated from Default ones. Thanks. Will keep an eye out now that I know.
            @William. Thanks for the image brotha. Helps a lot. Will let you know if I find something wrong.

Comment

Btw, 2 quick question
              1. For the auto generated config files why do they contain udk? Where do I need to change it so that it could be whatever I want? Such as instead of DefaultEngineUDK.ini I may want DefaultEngineBlah.ini. Just curious to know.
              2. When are the derived files created from the default files. There was an instant when I remembered making some change in Mobile-UDKGame.ini and then they were reverted. I thought it was a full recompile that did it. I tried confirming that but it wasn't the case.

Comment

Oh and whatever lil trouble I'm having with config files would have to be this
                http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...me-type-to-ios

Comment

Working...
                X