FBX vs PSK Exports (Blender to UDK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBX vs PSK Exports (Blender to UDK)

I am working with Blender and have been creating human models/armatures for use in UDK. I am planning on doing all the animations in UDK, so these exports will just be the skeletal mesh. I was wondering if the export can be either FBX or PSK, or if only one of these file types worked with it. Also, if I did decide to do animations in Blender and move them to UDK, which file type will work for this? Thanks!

It'll be a lot easier to animate in Blender!

FBX supports animation export in the same file. PSK has a complimentary format called PSA for exporting animation. This link may be useful if you go with fbx.

Comment

Thank you very much! Are there any certain conditions I need to do to export as a FBX in order for it to work correctly. I have tried a few times with FBX, simple models/armatures work but more complicated ones fail the import to UDK.

Comment

Though animation is not my specialty, there are a few things I know you must have.

-A root bone at 0,0,0 as the highest bone in the hierarchy
        -The skeletal mesh's origin at 0,0,0
        -Export each animation in a separate FBX file, with every animation starting on frame 1
        -ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS (this is important lol) apply your scale and rotation for both the armature and the mesh before you export

-Import just a single FBX animation into UDK first, then from the animset you created from that, import all the rest of your animations for that particular animset through File> Import FBX Animation...

There may be more steps I missed (as I said, animation is not my main area), but I know for sure you need to do at least the above.

Comment

I have a few simple models I will have to try this out with and work my way up from there. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by James Ordner View Post
            -Export each animation in a separate FBX file
            This is no longer necessary using the latest versions of Blender, and is one reason why I switched from PSK/PSA to FBX. You can export/import your mesh and all animations in a single file.

Use Blender versions 2.63+

Comment

I was able to import a very simple model/animation to UDK. I am currently trying a human model (exported from Makehuman) that includes the model and an armature but if I try to import it as a FBX into UDK I get an error message that says "Import Failed". I'm not sure if it has something to do with the armature or not as the error message isn't detailed enough. The model and and root bone are both at 0,0,0 so I'm not sure what it could be.

Comment

I've not tried MakeHuman's rig, but I'll assume it's designed for CG animation not games.

It may have too many bones, too many bone influences per vertex, bone scaling, complicated constraints and controller bones, or simply too many vertices. /shrug

Comment

Read somewhere that I need to choose deform for the bones I want to import/choose the "Only Deform Bones" option when exporting the Blender file to FBX. Importing to UDK, this works. The only problem is this is what my AnimSet looks like: http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=AnimSet.jpg The animation works, it's just figuring out why this looks the way it does.

Comment

You may need to disable bAnimRotationOnly under AnimSet properties. Also, in my experience any non-deformer bones that are parents of deformer bones will still get exported. That may not be an issue but it's something to be aware of.

When I rig a game character I always separate the deformer bones and the control bones into two independent chains within the same rig. The control bones directly drive the deformers, but when exporting with 'only deform bones' every control element is culled away leaving just the optimal game rig.

Comment

That worked with changing the model, but brought about a new error: http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/...=AnimError.jpg Is there a way to recompress it in UDK or is it something else.

Comment

Re-importing the animations should get rid of that error.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response. That seemed to work, my next step is setting up UDK for my project and getting everything in. Thank you guys for the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X