Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get a Distribution Cert AND KeyPair? How do I use Mac Keychain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get a Distribution Cert AND KeyPair? How do I use Mac Keychain?

Hello,
    I am just about to go mad over this...
    I tried again and again to get my App accepted by the Application Loader on Mac. Long story short... I failed miserably. It just never gets past that first step and gives the "Application failed codesign verification..." error.
    I had both a developer and distribution certificate imported into UDK iOS configuration wizard.

I have two ideas where the problem could be:
    1) I used the developer.keypair to import my distribution certificate!!
    Is this correct or is there any way to optain a distribution keypair?!?

2)I never used a Mac in my life before and don't plan to do so again... so on the Mac side I have no idea what I am doing.
    The UDN guide makes a short remark:
    "Click Continue on the next page to skip it, unless you want to go ahead install the certificate in Keychain on a Mac. This is not necessary for UDK development, but will be necessary should you decide to submit your game to the App Store down the line."
    And then never ever mentions that again or how to do it...

I managed to get the certificate on my macincloud via dropbox. When I doubleclicked it Keychain opened with the certificate in it and ONLY the private key. What do I have to do next? Anything? Nothing? Ahh when I think about it I am just totally lost.

So any guidance on how to get through that codesign error would be much appreciated.

Oh one more thing:
    My Distro_app still had the name UDKGame in it as opposed to MarsBase which I always called it when I had the chance.
    Could that be the problem? And if so how do I get the Wizard to name it correctly?

Sorry for the long post but as you can guess I've been up late trying to fix this...

Go through these, they will help:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Apple...ningSetup.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Distr...nAppleiOS.html

Comment

Yeah sure this one: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Apple....html#DistCert helps too...
      but in all of them combined I couldn't find how to get a Distribution Certificate with a Keypair or how to use Mac Keychain.
      That's why I made the thread in the first place. Well it's a fresh new day now so I'll try my luck again.
      Unfortunately I only have 5h/day Mac access so if anyone knows what I need to do on the Mac PLEASE let me know. UDN says just about nothing about that part.

Comment

I just tried the the whole process again even with developer certificate request... and ofc. this is the result:
        "Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, contains disallowed entitlements or it was not signed with an iPhone distribution certificate."
        I read now that the developer certificates are irrelevant for distribution. So let me describe what I do for distribution:
        -I create a new distribution certificate and Provisioning for my Apps ID and download them
        -I import the provisioning and certificate (using the developer Keypair as I have no other) into the Unreal iOS Signing tool
        -I cook and package my game in FrontEnd using: UDKGame IPhone Shipping_32 ReleaseScript Shipping_32
        -I try to upload the resulting .IPA into the app loader and it fails.

So what part am I missing I am sure there has to be something important missing!

Comment

There's a new UDK IOS book out, one of the ending chapters explains provisioning right through to uploading to the app store using a mac and in great detail. it could help you out.
          http://www.packtpub.com/unreal-devel...ers-guide/book

I would post the whole process up myself but its a lot of steps and could get confusing very quickly. but if enough people need it I will try, but the book above explains it better than I ever could.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfMalta View Post
            There's a new UDK IOS book out, one of the ending chapters explains provisioning right through to uploading to the app store using a mac and in great detail. it could help you out.
            http://www.packtpub.com/unreal-devel...ers-guide/book

I would post the whole process up myself but its a lot of steps and could get confusing very quickly. but if enough people need it I will try, but the book above explains it better than I ever could.
            I came across that book during my research on how to solve this problem. However I hesitate to buy it as I am already done with development. I literally just need to hit a button in the right way and I am done.
            So yeh I'd much appreciate if you could just answer the questions in my OP that would help a lot already. If you want to avoid confusion with incomplete replies just PM me.
            I have paid access to a Mac server for 1 week.... so if all else fails I'll just buy the book before I loose access that would still be about the same price as a subscription renew I guess.

EDIT:
            In the meantime I also tried to follow these steps suggested by Jaggeded(?) in another thread:
            1. Ignore the certificate and keypair that you generated on PC.
            2. Go to your Apple Developer account and redownload your app's provisioning profile, the one under Development tab, to your Mac.
            3. From your Mac, export the p12 file from this certificate, do not enter a password, leave it blank. ( Although IPP does prompt you for a password, I've had trouble getting this to work )
            4. Bring the mobileprovision and p12 file back to your PC and run UnrealFrontend.
            5. Under "Already a registered iOS developer", import in these files again. ( p12 goes into the Import Certificate option )
            6. Under "Advanced Tools \ Provision and Certificate tools", make sure that the cert details appear under "Installed Provisions"

Well I am still getting the same error so I am running out of ideas what to do...

Comment

I literally just went through the distribution key thing, and it's a little confusing. For me, the key was using my Mac that has XCode and has my Team setup in the Organizer to generate the actual Distribution certificate. I went through a few extra/unecessary steps that I can't really remember when I was trying to set this up, so my recollection might be hazy, and you might only need to use Step 7 and onward, but this should be the gist of it:

1) Revoke existing Distribution Certificate in the iOS Developer Site (I generated mine on the PC, that didn't work for me)
              2) On the Mac you have XCode installed on, go the iOS Developer Site and generate a new Distribution Certificate and then a new Distribution Provisioning Profile
              3) Download that new certificate (you have to refresh the page) and the Provisioning Profile to a place accessible by both your PC and the Mac (I used Dropbox)
              4) In Xcode, go to the Organizer-Devices section and hit 'Refresh', it should automatically show you the new 'iOS Distribution' certificate there after loading (prompts for your iOS dev site password)
              5) Still in Xcode, go to Provisioning Profiles, and import the new distribution profile
              6) Verify that the new profile says "Valid Profile" in the Status once imported
              7) In the Mac's Applications/Utilities, open up the Keychain Access tool, then find the "iPhone Distrbution:" certificate with your current date (I had an old one I needed to delete), then right click the "Export" option and give the resulting .p12 file a name and password. Save this to your shared PC/Mac directory as well
              8) Go to UnrealFE, and then in the Application Settings-->Advanced Tools, Import a Certificate and the Provision, and when prompted give the .p12 file you exported from your mac as well as the other certificate and provisioning files you created.

Then generate a new distro_ ipa file and load that into the application loader, and you should be good to go.

Comment

I just uploaded my App with the help of NickRs Post. Weeeeeeee
                Now here is how I got it working:
                First of all follow what Nick wrote NOT what UDN says some of that is as outdated as it could be.
                However I had previously already done what he wrote which didn't work for me.

Because the devil is in the details and there is one important one:
                In Your UnrealIFE Application Settings ->Advanced tools you get to set your Current GameType.
                Given that I planned to submit a game to MOBILE platforms I always selected MobileGame as Current GameType.
                From what I know this game type doesn't even exist anymore?!? -.,- Suddenly realizing this I picked UDKGame.
                The catch why developer certificates work and distribution ones don't is that for the dev ones Epic Games did the right thing and made UDKGame type the default. However for the advanced tools for distribution you get to choose freely. Thus I never had a distribution certificate for the UDKGame untill now.

Phew now the waiting game for the Apple Testing approval/fail begins. heh

Comment

Working...
                X