Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to delete game from device before performance improvement measures takes effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to delete game from device before performance improvement measures takes effect

We are in the process of optimizing load time in our game and are currently testing on iPhone 4. Earlier we used some far too big texture sheets for the gui and menus (multiple 2048 sheets with TC_SimpleLightmapModification). Reducing the size of those textures in half, or using default compressing (TC_SimpleLightmapModification is like doubling the texture size in terms of space) reduced load-time a lot.

However; We need to delete the game from the iPhone before transferring again, otherwise the loading won't improve at all! Anyone know why it is like this? This worry me, and I wonder how this work when we release the game. It suggest that even though we theoretically improve the performance of the game in a patch after it gets released, it won't actually improve anything unless the user delete the game first?

Yeah it is quite annoying how much stuff is "saved" even though the user might not want to have it arround. I can only speak from testing experiences so you could be in luck and it's different for actual iTunes uploads.

Comment

It is explained well in the apple developer website but i don't remember exactly where.
      When you package your game for testing, to save time Xcode (and if you say so i think udk too) doesn't remove all the folders with images and a lot of other stuff, this is done only if you download the app from the appstore or if you use other instruments (like the share option inside Xcode that is done to test the final version).
      Otherwise some content isn't overwritten and you can find some old files in your 'new' version.

Comment

Working...
      X