July 2012 3Gs performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2012 3Gs performance

Hey guys, I have been building my game on the July 2011 UDK for most of the project and I recently upgraded to the the July 2012 UDK for the new features and I noticed that the performance on the 3Gs has almost halved! Performance on the iPad 3 has on the other hand doubled. What caused the massive slow down on the 3Gs and is there a solution?

Also the editor has become very slow and crash happy. July 2011 pretty much never crashed on me over many months of daily use but July 2012 has atleast a few crashes per day! I also have to have my fingers crossed when copy pasting kismet nodes because that provokes a lot of crashes!

The kismet editor has gotten much slower compared the July 2012 and also the change of background color for the kismet browser makes the contrast terrible, the old lighter background was better!

Seriously the difference in performance between 2012 and 2011 are night and day, but I need GameCenter and the option to let the player play their own music (Finally!)

Best solution would be to go to an older version of UDK if it gives you better performance.

But considering how underpowered and old the 3GS is anyways, I'd just abandon support for that.

Comment

But I need some of the features of the July 2012 version and the ipad 3 performance is not as good in most of the older versions.

I feel like there's some kind of bloatware thats making everything slower, even changing the volume while the game is running on the 3GS lags a lot. Also the intro movie plays fine for the first few seconds, freezes then speeds through the rest of the movie and goes to a black screen until everything is loaded. On the ipad this does not happen.

Comment

That makes you wonder how such a huge performance drop could happen with the engine. I think its somewhere at the end of 2011 where the performance got really worse.
        Im curious how the performance changed from the July 2011 to the July 2012 for a iPod4 or iPhone4, had you tryed that too?

Originally posted by Archerx View Post
        But I need some of the features of the July 2012 version and the ipad 3 performance is not as good in most of the older versions.

I feel like there's some kind of bloatware thats making everything slower, even changing the volume while the game is running on the 3GS lags a lot. Also the intro movie plays fine for the first few seconds, freezes then speeds through the rest of the movie and goes to a black screen until everything is loaded. On the ipad this does not happen.

Comment

Working...
        X