Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOS Device Logs

Hi All,

This seems like it should be really obvious - but I can't figure out how to get udk logs from my ipad. So far I've been able to get by with logging only on the pc, but now I'm planning to add gamecenter and in app purchases.

I have tried going to unreal console in unreal frontend - but when it searches for available targets (while the game is running and when its not running) it can't find my device/ my game...

I don't need realtime logging so would be content with just retrieving logs after playing the game. In particular - I just want to see my `Log output...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Uhm in iTunes your UDK created app should be listed as an app that can send you data. So you can acess some logg files via iTunes. However I could never make much sense of them. So I just use the ingame console (Touch screen with 4 fingers) to enter performance checking commands.

Comment

Hi XilenceX,

I had read about the 4 finger ingame console, but that isn't working for me either. Is there something that you know of that I need to enable in the plist/ ipad settings/ udk config files for these to work?

Thanks,

Pete

Comment

Sorry to bump this - but I could really do with some guidance on this and I'm sure there must be a way to see the `Log output from the device...? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

To see the log output, you need to connect to it using UnrealConsole. I use the UnrealFE application and connect to the device from there.

Comment

Ingame Console:
            To get console access (4-finger touch gesture) on the device you need to deploy the game using the "Game Config": Release_32 setting in UnrealFrontend. If you use Shipping_32 instead the console will be disabled.

Device Logs:
            To grab logs off the device launch iPhonePackager ("Application Settings..." button in UnrealFrontend), go to "Other Deployment Tools...", select the device from the list, click "Backup documents..." and select the .ipa that was deployed to the device. Logs along with some other stuff will be saved to a directory somewhere in the root of your UDK installation (check the log window to see where exactly).

Comment

Thanks a lot

Comment

I can deploy to my ipad, and I can see the ipad listed in connected devices in the DEPLOYMENT/SIGNING tool, but when I open the unreal console, it can't find my ipad. Is there something I need to do to make my ipad visible to the unreal console?

Also, I'm thinking that, in order to see my `Log output, I'll need to compile in debug mode - but If I choose to compile my scripts in debug mode, it won't let me cook :

Error, The script contained in package '..\..\UDKGame\Script\Core.u' was compiled in debug mode. Please recompile all script package in release before cooking.
                Error, Failed loading ..\..\UDKGame\Script\Core.u

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Your iPad is only visible to UnrealConsole when you are running your game. I'm not sure how early in the boot process it's available, haven't tried - I usually connect once the game has reached our Front End main menu.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfhannon View Post
                    Also, I'm thinking that, in order to see my `Log output, I'll need to compile in debug mode - but If I choose to compile my scripts in debug mode, it won't let me cook
                    You don't. `log() is only defined to null when scripts are compiled with -final_release. So in UnrealFrontend set your "Script Config" to ReleaseScript to get logging or to FinalReleaseScript to disable it and possibly gain some performance.

Comment

Great thanks both of you - I wasn't being patient enough for the unrealconsole and thanks for clearing that up about the `logs.

Cheers,

Peter

Comment

Sorry to piggy back on your thread, I've just been trying to work this out as well, but for some reason the Unreal Console can't seem to connect to my iPad.

It appears to see it, as the name of the iPad is on the only tab in the console gui, plus it's listed in the FrontEnd in ActiveInstance(s). However, it just gives me an inital error in red: "Could not connect to target!". Then it just constantly streams "*** Reconnecting" after that.

Not sure what the deal is and searching for this isn't bringing up anything sadly.. I'm using the latest July UDK now, but was having the same problem with the previous May UDK as well.

*Edit: All the sudden it seems to be working today.. Connects just fine and demands my cookies. No idea what the issue was, but hopefully it's good now.

Comment

Working...
                        X