Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iOS Mobile Previewer Crashes on *certain* levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS Mobile Previewer Crashes on *certain* levels?

So I made a little level with two buildings, and a rather large flooring area. However, when I open that in Mobile Previewer, after MP shows up, I get "Built With UDK Has Stopped Working" and the MP crashes, but not UDK. If I open the MP in one of the default types, like morning lighting etc..., it does NOT crash. What's going on here?

Thanks!

Originally posted by pivotraze View Post
    So I made a little level with two buildings, and a rather large flooring area. However, when I open that in Mobile Previewer, after MP shows up, I get "Built With UDK Has Stopped Working" and the MP crashes, but not UDK. If I open the MP in one of the default types, like morning lighting etc..., it does NOT crash. What's going on here?

Thanks!
    How big is rather large?
    If you don't have precomputed visibility or cull distance volumes, everything will be rendered in front of the camera..........This is how an iOS device works so the mobile previewer will emulate that mass of demand!

Break up your map into chunks of visibility!

Comment

Rather large is 4 1024x1024x16 blocks combined, a building that is 2 blocks of 256x256x256 cut together, a larger building that is 256x400x256 with a little "garage" that is 256x256x256, and a scorpion, a cicada, and manta, and a long 8000x256x16 size "road" :P

How do I cut it into chunks of visibility? Sorry, I'm still sorta new to UDK lol

Comment

Originally posted by pivotraze View Post
        Rather large is 4 1024x1024x16 blocks combined, a building that is 2 blocks of 256x256x256 cut together, a larger building that is 256x400x256 with a little "garage" that is 256x256x256, and a scorpion, a cicada, and manta, and a long 8000x256x16 size "road" :P

How do I cut it into chunks of visibility? Sorry, I'm still sorta new to UDK lol

The simplest way to explain it would be to say,
        Imagine in front of you is an entire city.Obviously looking through your own eyes you can't see the whole city because of the limitations of your eyes..
        Similarly, the camera in a normal PC game works like this....Unfortunately, an iOS device doesn't........Whatever is in your map, the device will try to render everything in front of the camera, regardless if it can be seen or not!Click image for larger version

Name:	Front town view showing precomputed visibility volume.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3248953Click image for larger version

Name:	Front town view.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3248954Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Town view split into two visibilty chunks.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3248955Click image for larger version

Name:	Top town view.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	3248956
        So to overcome this, using the builder brush, you would split up the map into visibility chunks..These chunks would be precomputed visibility or cull distance....Both have the same functions to allow distance objects to remain invisible, or not rendered..
        The included pictures may make this more obvious!
        Basically, there's no point in allowing a device to render the whole map or scene because its pointless if you can't see it!
        To add a volume, drag your brush to the desired location and after sizing it, right click and choose to add a precomputed or cull distance volume

Comment

Working...
        X