Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[PORTING] I have stuttering (almost freeze) playing my game inside the previewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Ivan84 View Post
    Now i'm restarting some modeling (the pawn you can see are a fast creation to have some stuff to work with), i want to finish the character and the weapons and if i can i try to reduce the polys. My pawn have about 4k polys each one but in a level i can have 8-12 pawns fighting at the same time in the same place (in 3d studio they have 2k polys, but in udk they have 4k).

Maybe one problem could be the textures, i see that they alone take about 80 Mb in memory. I read the documentation but i still can't understand how to do PVRTC format, is the checkbox "Force to PVRTC4" the right way to do this?
    Another problem is that i've found that the freeze happens when i rotate fast the pawn to look on a big open area on the map and i really can't understand what is the problem in a map with just some walls.
    Poly count isn't critical, draw calls are !.....bsp uses lots of memory and the more textures you have, the more draw calls...There's a whole host of things to get used to with mobile and perhaps you should take a look at the UDN mobile home to fully understand the limitations

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now i'm restarting some modeling (the pawn you can see are a fast creation to have some stuff to work with), i want to finish the character and the weapons and if i can i try to reduce the polys. My pawn have about 4k polys each one but in a level i can have 8-12 pawns fighting at the same time in the same place (in 3d studio they have 2k polys, but in udk they have 4k).

Maybe one problem could be the textures, i see that they alone take about 80 Mb in memory. I read the documentation but i still can't understand how to do PVRTC format, is the checkbox "Force to PVRTC4" the right way to do this?
    Another problem is that i've found that the freeze happens when i rotate fast the pawn to look on a big open area on the map and i really can't understand what is the problem in a map with just some walls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7789[/ATTACH]

Now there are a lot of errors with skeletal mesh placing and with the weapon positioning but it is not important in this moment.

I played a bit and converted all the pawn in MobilePlaceablePawn.
    The game still freeze sometimes, but the map is really simple.
    I added some precomputed visibility volumes, removed fog and gamma correction.
    I say, if it stutter now, what can it be when i will create a complete level?
    The textures are all forced to be in pvrct 4 format (i hope the name is correct).
    The pawns are about 4k polys and 4k verts.
    Do i forget something?
    The problem is that I can't see that changing pawns to mobile ones will have any influence at all.....I have a UTPawn based iOS game I'm working on at the moment and it makes little difference to performance..
    Without seeing your game and set-up in front of me, its impossible to say what's occurring! Perhaps if you posted all the stats logs on here, we could try and eliminate the issues one by one..

Just out of curiosity, is that bsp brushes you've used there because they are a big problem with iOS if you've over done it ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Game.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	3248952

Now there are a lot of errors with skeletal mesh placing and with the weapon positioning but it is not important in this moment.

I played a bit and converted all the pawn in MobilePlaceablePawn.
    The game still freeze sometimes, but the map is really simple.
    I added some precomputed visibility volumes, removed fog and gamma correction.
    I say, if it stutter now, what can it be when i will create a complete level?
    The textures are all forced to be in pvrct 4 format (i hope the name is correct).
    The pawns are about 4k polys and 4k verts.
    Do i forget something?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the answer. I have no sounds for now, i have nothing except what i said in the first post.
    Can it be a problem with pawns? I use GamePawn and not MobilePawn but today i'm going to do the conversion.

Now i try the console commands. Thanks.

EDIT: Another thing, i read this in the udn website:

"Many mobile devices (including all iOS devices) do not support DXT textures (which make up somewhere around 99% of Epic's textures). PVRTC is ImgTec's PowerVR texture format. There are two PVRTC formats, PVRTC2 and PVRTC4, which are 2- and 4-bits per texel, respectively. "

It doesn't specify how is possible to convert the textures in the pvrtc format. I just found e checkbox inside the Texture properties to force it as pvrtc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi everyone, this is my first post inside this section.
    I written some classes for a game i'm creating.
    I started study udk not for mobile but now i would like to migrate and continue all the work for mobile platform.

I can run my gametype inside the previewer yet.
    I have some pawns (extended from GamePawn) with my own skeletale meshes (about 8000 vertices each one, and 12 pawns in the level) everyone with an UDKWeapon.
    The map is made of just 4 walls and a floor, they are nothing more than cubes with the default material applied.
    I have 8 small meshes, this are cubes with an instance material that i paint with the team color in the starting of the game at runtime.
    I also have different artificial intelligences derived from UDKBot.

Do you think that would be difficult to do a porting at this point?
    Inside the previewer sometimes i have a really heavy stuttering but i can't understand what can be.
    Sometimes when i have just a pawn in the view and he updates it rotation or moves it starts to stutter but for example now i just had a test and i played without problems making two teams fighting with my melee animations and a lot of moves.
    The best way to find out what's going on is to run the stats command from the console.This will bring up a window showing what's eating your performance..
    Do you have lots of audio cues playing or a soundtrack..Playing sounds on mobile is notoriously memory demanding........
    If you don't know what stats commands to type in the console, just go onto the UDN and type in console commands to the search box....There you'll find a list of stats commands to run...........

Leave a comment:

• [PORTING] I have stuttering (almost freeze) playing my game inside the previewer

Hi everyone, this is my first post inside this section.
    I written some classes for a game i'm creating.
    I started study udk not for mobile but now i would like to migrate and continue all the work for mobile platform.

I can run my gametype inside the previewer yet.
    I have some pawns (extended from GamePawn) with my own skeletale meshes (about 8000 vertices each one, and 12 pawns in the level) everyone with an UDKWeapon.
    The map is made of just 4 walls and a floor, they are nothing more than cubes with the default material applied.
    I have 8 small meshes, this are cubes with an instance material that i paint with the team color in the starting of the game at runtime.
    I also have different artificial intelligences derived from UDKBot.

Do you think that would be difficult to do a porting at this point?
    Inside the previewer sometimes i have a really heavy stuttering but i can't understand what can be.
    Sometimes when i have just a pawn in the view and he updates it rotation or moves it starts to stutter but for example now i just had a test and i played without problems making two teams fighting with my melee animations and a lot of moves.
Working...
X