Webserver Ios Database ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webserver Ios Database ?

Has anyone made their game to store Game data to a server on a website. Something that the game center offers, but I'm looking for more detailed database for all the players playing the game so I'm looking into making a custom leader-board on the game website. I'm quite sure this is possible but can someone confirm this?

TCPLink works the last time I used it.

Comment

Thank you Solid Snake. Can you send across Images (Screenshots of the game the player will take) too?

Comment

short answer: no
        long answer: yes

everything digital can be expressed in 1s and 0s.

positing the ready availability of a screen shot function, on the iPad3 a basic 24bit bitmap screenshot will be just under 9.5MB. Even if you were to stream the data directly, the combination of implementing such a method in unrealScript would likely be slow. So you're not left with a lot of options unless you can afford for the operation to take place passively throughout an extended unit of time. Also keep it mind you're not going to be able to work out a method of compressing the information, so it could end up snowballing out of control for any of numerous reasons.**

I'm not sure offhand if it's supported, but you might be able to pull it off in actionscript (this would be my best guess, but there's a good chance it wouldn't grab any of the actual UDK pixels besides what's in the scaleform layer) if it's supported by the engine, and also http through actionscript. I'd guess actionscript might enable more exposure to the binary data and enable you omit some magnitude of detail.

**If you figure out a way to generate the data you need, your best bet of transmitting it in any practical transparent sense would probably be via some sort of multithreaded entropy coding (e.g.: tornado codes). If you're thinking of having people screen capture bugs, you might as well just have them press home+power and email them to you. You also risk any number of memory leaks due to implementation at the server side of things: people on mobile devices do not necessarily have stable and powerful internet connections, and even that aside, you have to start factoring in the costs of a server with globally available scaling architecture.

Comment

thanks for the info frostymoss. I'll sit with this thing and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
          X