No announcement yet.

Always show that lighting needs to be rebuild on ios device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello AaronJones, thanks for the information, we just used the command "LISTUNCACHEDSTATICLIGHTINGINTERACTIONS" as you suggested, in PC with mobile previewer it returns 0, it has never showed us any warnings about "Lighting needs to be rebuild", but in the device, when I used that command, it logged "[0077.48] Log: A total of 36 uncached static lighting interactions were detected" and it shows the warning, so what does that means exactly?

Meanwhile we're using the "DISABLEALLSCREENMESSAGES" as tom161 suggested to remove the warning message in the device.

Comment

Not sure why it would return 0 in the editor and not game. Are you in mobile mode?

Comment

Yeah we have the Mobile Features activated in the editor, besides we test our games directly with the -simmobile option, we build the lights and everything works fine in the PC with the mobile previewer, but when we deploy the game to the device it shows the warnings and it logs what I said in my last post when using the "LISTUNCACHEDSTATICLIGHTINGINTERACTIONS" command so we're currently hiding the messages with the "DISABLEALLSCREENMESSAGES" command.

Maybe is the 2012-01 UDK release, we haven't tried migrating our game to a newer version.

Comment

The lightingrebuild message will still be there in the recent version of the build. I wonder if getting rid of the Dominant Directional Light will cause the error to go away. Try replacing it if you have one.

Comment

Same problem here... and yes - when I remove the Dominant Directional Light, the error is gone

Comment

Exact same problem here on march '12 version

Comment

Yes, for Me too.//but 05/12 - iOS 5.1.1 (iPhone4s)

@ tom161:
                Thank you for the info that "tapping screen with four fingers opens console"!
                Never read about it.
                Could you link the source pls.
                If the source is on UDN, then I'm embarrassed now.

Comment

Make sure you are not using dominant direction light as your main light source. Use directional light.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                    Make sure you are not using dominant direction light as your main light source. Use directional light.
                    Any visual difference between these for the mobile?

Comment

If I use "Directional Light" instead of "Dominant Directional Light" the "Lighting needs to be rebuilt" message ain't anymore, but
                      Directional Light looks terrible.

My characters change brightness from time to time depending on which color the sun has.
                      So if the sun is black the characters turn black for a randomly amount of time.

It looks like it tries to simulate flowing clouds which cover the sun sometimes.

Maybe I'll just suppress the messages for the shipping.

Comment

I have this issue as well, using Dominant directional light. However I actually visually see a difference from mobile emulator and on iOS. We have a complex water shader we are using, and in the editor the lighting builds fine and shadows the water shader as it should, but on iOS the mesh with that shader looks unlit and I get the lighting needs to be rebuilt message.

What is it about Dominant directional that causes this issue? I'll try directional I guess but it sounds like that is a bit of a step down in quality is it not?

Comment

I had the same issue, It turned out that my directional light's radius was such that it extended outside the bounds of my lightmass importance volume. Reducing the trace distance on the light or extending the lightmass importance volume resolved the issue for me.

Comment

Simple fix for this. Click four fingers on the screen and it will bring up the console device the type in toggleallscreenmessages and that's it. It all goes away.
                            Other post are fixes for the problem. Mine is an ostrich sticking his head in the dirt.

Comment

Working...
                            X