No announcement yet.

UTPawn in IOS Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one handy trick I use in a lot of my own debugging. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but it's always good practice.

In the start menu, find and right click the icon for the UDK Editor and select Properties. Under "Target" you should see something like C:\UDK\UDK-2011-August\Binaries\UDKLift.exe editor

Add a space and -log to the end of that and hit OK. You should see a small black window pop-up now whenever you run the editor through the start menu. That window holds the log for the editor, and any Play In Editor games, including iOS simulations. In unrealscript you can use the command `log() to print text and variable data to the screen, which is a huge asset in tracking down errant behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Iritus View Post
      Here's one handy trick I use in a lot of my own debugging. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't, but it's always good practice.

In the start menu, find and right click the icon for the UDK Editor and select Properties. Under "Target" you should see something like C:\UDK\UDK-2011-August\Binaries\UDKLift.exe editor

Add a space and -log to the end of that and hit OK. You should see a small black window pop-up now whenever you run the editor through the start menu. That window holds the log for the editor, and any Play In Editor games, including iOS simulations. In unrealscript you can use the command `log() to print text and variable data to the screen, which is a huge asset in tracking down errant behavior.
      I have a much simpler method than that...It takes ten seconds to set-up and gives a complete list of console command debug buttons to screen in iOS or standard text on PC games..
      Its just a text document ,(which you paste in the kismet) with about 20 console commands that can be run independently to give a much more detailed DEBUG on the game you're running...All the commands can be linked to either a level loaded on PC or in iOS , buttons at the top of the screen...

Seek And Destroy Games
      Tutorials for UDK PC and iOS
      http://www.youtube.com/user/lexluthornumber1

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
        I have a much simpler method than that...It takes ten seconds to set-up and gives a complete list of console command debug buttons to screen in iOS or standard text on PC games..
        Its just a text document ,(which you paste in the kismet) with about 20 console commands that can be run independently to give a much more detailed DEBUG on the game you're running...All the commands can be linked to either a level loaded on PC or in iOS , buttons at the top of the screen...
        As a general rule I avoid Kismet as much as possible. It's too level dependent for my taste, but like almost everything in the UDK, there's about 10 different ways you can accomplish any one task. You could also just enter those console commands directly into the console without even needing kismet by hitting the tilde key or holding four fingers on the screen on an iOS device. You could also call all 20 commands by writing them into a single function and just calling that function once from the console.

The amount of detail given by using the `log() command in unrealscript is completely up to you the coder. You can pull specific values of specific variables from specific actors, or make it spit out just the names of every Pawn in play. You can also use it to track down specific lines of code that aren't working, by doing `log("Line 5"), `log("Line 10"), `log("Line 15"), etc... and seeing between which lines the error message appears in the log.

Like most tools, the genius isn't in the tool itself but in how it's used.

Comment

Originally posted by Iritus View Post
          As a general rule I avoid Kismet as much as possible. It's too level dependent for my taste, but like almost everything in the UDK, there's about 10 different ways you can accomplish any one task. You could also just enter those console commands directly into the console without even needing kismet by hitting the tilde key or holding four fingers on the screen on an iOS device. You could also call all 20 commands by writing them into a single function and just calling that function once from the console.

The amount of detail given by using the `log() command in unrealscript is completely up to you the coder. You can pull specific values of specific variables from specific actors, or make it spit out just the names of every Pawn in play. You can also use it to track down specific lines of code that aren't working, by doing `log("Line 5"), `log("Line 10"), `log("Line 15"), etc... and seeing between which lines the error message appears in the log.

Like most tools, the genius isn't in the tool itself but in how it's used.
          That does sound like it would be useful when the DEBUG is looking for specific problems, but simple logs on audio and poly-count performance I like my command buttons, lol........

Also writing custom scripts isn't my thing so I would be completely lost.....Kismet is for the kind of user I am...
          I thought of doing a series on my channel on YouTube entitled "Coding in Unreal Engine for Idiots" and having it completely kismet based......

Seek And Destroy Games
          Tutorials for UDK PC and iOS
          http://www.youtube.com/user/lexluthornumber1

Comment

This is getting crazy. So i kinda have a work around, it seems to be working. But still having some issues with the camera. But i need to do some more scripting as far as AI goes to know if this is even going to work. They attack everyone. I think if i give them paths and set up teams it might work. But what i want is them to come at me in waves....

Comment

Working...
            X