Text in the gameworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Well depends on the rest of the scene. A few draw calls is over exaggerating a little bit. If the name is assumed to be just two chunks for example, say "John Smith", adding two extra static meshes isn't going to kill performance by a lot. However, adding forty static meshes for twenty names probably would.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Unfortunately, for the iOS dynamic changes to textures is not a particularly easy thing to do. Your only option as far as I'm aware at this stage is to make all of the variations as textures. You can use material flattening to make the process quicker though.

The last potential method I can think of is to dynamic spawn in static meshes that represent each letter or a name chunk and have them just in front of the grave stone. Should render reasonably quickly I'd say, but it will depend on how you do it.
    Yea, will have to make them with a sheet, pre defined. Dynamic spawn any text chunks would be horrible for iOS, would be lots of drawcalls and only a few draw calls would already bring the performance down.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unfortunately, for the iOS dynamic changes to textures is not a particularly easy thing to do. Your only option as far as I'm aware at this stage is to make all of the variations as textures. You can use material flattening to make the process quicker though.

The last potential method I can think of is to dynamic spawn in static meshes that represent each letter or a name chunk and have them just in front of the grave stone. Should render reasonably quickly I'd say, but it will depend on how you do it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post
    make a decal of every letter & i guess use a script to load the correct one based on the string?

why is this in the iOS section?
    I would like to have it work on iOS, projecting a lot of decals is obvious no option there.

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
    [UDN]ScriptedTextures[/UDN] can be used to put dynamic text into materials.
    Looks like thats it, but it also looks very complex and like it will not work on iOS. I hoped there would be something straight forward that would be no problem on iOS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [UDN]ScriptedTextures[/UDN] can be used to put dynamic text into materials.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    make a decal of every letter & i guess use a script to load the correct one based on the string?

why is this in the iOS section?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yea, the text should change. I would like to have random gravestones text from a long list and also have the players name appear on one.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you played Splinter Cell: Conviction, you'll have seen a lot of projected in-game text and video... it was a really effective effect imho. That was an UnrealEngine game.

But it sounds like your text would change, in-game, right?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Text in the gameworld

Text in the gameworld

I was wondering if could put text in the gameworld that is from actual text like i would do it with HUD text? So i could put text on gravestone assets that are from string variables.

I noticed in "Alice" is quite a lot of text in the gameworld that is even translated to german, my guess is that that text is no texture but i have no idea how they could have done it.
Working...
X