Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import object with texture from 3ds to udk

Hi
    I created an object in autodesk 3ds max and when I export it as fbx and import it into udk. The object has no texture and has the blue and white checkers instead. How do I import an object from 3ds and keep my textures.
    I'm using UDK Mobile if that matters.

You need to create a new material for your mesh inside UDK. As far as I know there's no way to export a textured mesh straight into UDK.

I suggest you take a look at the link below, cause in your case the node based material editor won't work as expected(because you're using UDKMobile).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Mobil...Reference.html

Comment

I figured out how to import a .bmp image to a mesh but when I drag it to the udk game engine it doesnt let me. It has the circle with slash on mouse
      What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by andynov123 View Post
        I figured out how to import a .bmp image to a mesh but when I drag it to the udk game engine it doesnt let me. It has the circle with slash on mouse
        What am I doing wrong?
        Originally posted by cybser View Post
        You need to create a new material for your mesh inside UDK. As far as I know there's no way to export a textured mesh straight into UDK.

I suggest you take a look at the link below, cause in your case the node based material editor won't work as expected(because you're using UDKMobile).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Mobil...Reference.html
        That should get you going.

Comment

This video can help you too,
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGmbH8nl_A

Comment

Hi
            I created an object in autodesk 3ds max and when I export it as fbx and import it into udk. The object has no texture and has the blue and white checkers instead. How do I import an object from 3ds and keep my textures.
            I'm using UDK Mobile if that matters.
            you can bring your mesh and textures into UDK in one fell swoop, using fbx. Just make sure that you have the "embed media" checkbox selected in the fbx export dialog. As long as your textures are in a format acceptable to UDK (ie: .tga) they will import already mapped to your model. This works whether you have multi/sub object materials called out in the first material slot, or whether you map a UVW. Also in Udk when you import the fbx model, make sure the checkbox "import materials" is selected.

see pics for reference.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by m00t View Post
              you can bring your mesh and textures into UDK in one fell swoop, using fbx. Just make sure that you have the "embed media" checkbox selected in the fbx export dialog. As long as your textures are in a format acceptable to UDK (ie: .tga) they will import already mapped to your model. This works whether you have multi/sub object materials called out in the first material slot, or whether you map a UVW. Also in Udk when you import the fbx model, make sure the checkbox "import materials" is selected.

see pics for reference.
              I did this using fbx. I checked embed media and import material and it didnt work. Check picture
              Attached Files

Comment

I did this using fbx. I checked embed media and import material and it didnt work. Check picture
                I assure you it does work, it has been part of my workflow between the two (it even brings in normal maps etc as well). how are you adding your material to your model in max?

also the material you add, can not be a .jpg, or the stock max textures. It must be of a format that is acceptable to udk.

As an example, Create a simple plane In Max, open the material editor, and in the first slot make sure you add a material to the diffuse channel (that tiny square next to the diffuse color), from the popup that appears select bitmap - then select your "custom" texture in .tga, .png etc format. apply the material to your model, then export with fbx.

the only way it doesn't work for me is by using textures that UDK can't readily import.

when you import it into UDK, it should be fully textured already, without having to apply the materials, or import them seperately.

Comment

I'm getting the same problem. I van export models, but none of the textures carry over into UDK.

I'm trying to bring over two coffee mugs, and the images I have on them are both in .png format. The rims of the cups are also just a gold color (standard) from 3DS max. When Import them with the settings listed in the post, the cups come over, but the materials are just random colors.

Comment

the materials being random colors has happened to me, but only when I tried to import a model with jpg's (non-compatible udk texture format).

Can you start a little simpler? just to try the steps.

1) create a plane - do not edit poly it, uvmap, anything - just a plane.
                    2) click the (small) box next to the diffuse color picker from the popup - select - bitmap, then navigate to either (for now) a .png or a .tga file.
                    3) drag this material from slot 1 of your material browser to your plane, you can hit the "show map in viewport" button so it becomes visible on screen.
                    4) export via fbx with embed media checked. (fbx will gripe at you about exporting a plane that wasn't editable geometry or something of the sort - just hit ok)
                    5) import via UDK with "import materials" checked.

for this test please ensure you are importing to a "clean" location, not the same location you may have attempted many other attempts - the reason I say this is because since we didn't name the material a unique name, if you keep trying to import it over where you may already have a texture called 01 - default (max's standard for the first texture), it can cause problems. (orrr... better yet give your material slot a unique name... so it imports over with a unique name). **Remember to save the package if there is a little asterisk present on any of the newly important pertinent files.
                    now open it. the plane should be textured with your texture. this is a very basic example...

I don't really know what else to say? it works for me, the only issues i've had is not having unique material names, not saving packages, and not using UDK acceptable texture formats.

if anyone else here IS having success/failure - could you chime in too?
                    cheers

as a side note: it's really not that big of a deal to just apply your textures after the fact either, but this is kind of a nice way to work eliminating some steps. I find it nice when working with a UVmap and a normal, it puts it all into udk in the right spots. - few less hoops to jump thru.

I hope that helps!
                    Attached Files

Comment

So I tried it out this morning, exactly as you said, and here are my results:

1) I create a box (NOT convert it to editable poly or mesh)
                      2) then apply a material which UDK accepts (in this case a .png image)
                      3) export as .fbx with "embed media" checked
                      4) Open content browser in UDK, import the .fbx
                      5) .fbx now appears in content browser with .png material intact. Works out well when I drag it into my work space!

HOWEVER:

If I use an editable poly or mesh and apply that same material, this does not work. When it is transferred to UDK in the exact same manner, the material does not appear. Sad too, because I was really looking forward to this working.

EDIT: When I do this with a newly created box which I converted to an editable poly it works fine. The previous model I tried to import was an office chair which someone else has created. It leads me to believe that perhaps this has something to do with the material IDs being off..... I'll continue and let you know what I find. If it works I'll create a video tutorial for it.

EDIT: I'm talking to myself at this point, but figured I would update you guys. I've used a third model (editable poly) this time (a microwave) and again applied that same .png image to it, exported it from MAX to UDK, and wah-lah, it works. I suppose it didn't work on the lounge chair due to something being off with the creators material IDs. The only unfortunate thing I've seen in all of this is the fact that UDK cannot recognize MAX's colors natively, therefore as you mentioned before, any materials which UDK does not natively recognize cannot be imported.

Comment

What about killing history before export?

Comment

that's right base colors etc, won't work, nor do max's native textures - but if you map a texture to your object it should go. The first example was just a simple one to prove that it works.

Obviously, you do want to uvmap your objects, including making an additional uvmap channel for your lightmap - you will also find that (depending on texture size) mapping a whole lot of individual texture files to one object will become resource hungry pretty quick. tga's certainly aren't cheap in size, png's are a bit better... but still - a few high quality textures will add up. That's why ultimately a UV map allowing all your textures to be shared in one png or tga is most efficient. but of course fbx importing works with a nice uvmap too, with normals, specular everything.

glad you got it going... started to feel like I was trying to sell a (albeit working!) bridge.. haha.

Comment

M00t, I literally spent the whole weekend trying to figure this out and find out if it was true, so I didn't believe you either. Most people on the forums don't believe it works either.

That's why I said I'll create a video in the next day or two showing that it does in fact work. It's a great way to streamline the process of importing/exporting models. I'm still trying to find an easy/simple way to paint a UV map, but until I actually have someone sit down with me it's kind of difficult to grasp. At least when it comes to painting small parts, or laying them all out.

Another great tool for those wanting an alternative to painting with UV maps is to use this: http://pixexix.sophiehoulden.com/ which allows you to paint faces on the fly and see the results in real time.

Comment

Whilst I see why you would want to keep the texture count to a minimum - if you have several objects in a scene with the same textures - albeit each object has say 6 or 7 textures... isn't that better? bearing in mind that if there are several objects in a scene then they'd all have a unique texture anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X