tap navigation like in EC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tap navigation like in EC

I have a very large environment and it is fairly annoying (and visually disruptive) to have my thumb constantly on the move joystick. How does one set up the touch navigation system seen in Epic Citadel?

Look in Castle.uc, I think I saw the code in there for tap to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamont View Post
      Look in Castle.uc, I think I saw the code in there for tap to move.
      I think you meant CastlePC.uc, and you would be right. See TapToMoveTap() which is assigned to the OnTapDelegate delegate of the Input Zone to handle taps.

Comment

I tried to open that file in UDK and it crashed it. Is it that kind of file?

Comment

Dont use tap navigation controls , it was the only thing that i didn't like on infinity blade

Comment

It is a text file containing UnrealScript code. You need to open it in a text editor. Yes, that means you need an understanding of UnrealScript to follow the code in the file and to implement a feature like this.

Comment

Well drat. One of the things I am loving about UDK is the scriptless game creation. Does that mean I am doomed to use the virtual joysticks? I am looking for a solution for navigating a huge open world without having to constantly block a third of the screen with my big fat thumb. Suggestions?

Comment

I haven't used it, but there is a DeProject node in Kismet. Tie that to using some of the other kismet nodes that give you access to input data and then use a input zone that covers your entire screen... you might be able to pull it off.

Comment

I successfully cheated. I just renamed Epic Citadel, deleted all the assets and kismet from it, and streamed my own levels into that. Voila! Free roaming Click navigation. Thanks all.

Comment

Scratch that. Everything works fine UNTIL I save the persistent level with a new name. Then, the tap to navigate stops functioning. (whine!) Trying to figure out WHY that should matter.

Comment

You have two options to do this:

Look at the code and make an attempt to learn a little. Hunting and pecking, trial and error, crashes and lockups are included. You will be better for it on the other end when you make it out. Also, will open more avenues for you in the future knowing a little about this.

Kismet, same. You will be better for it in the end.

Just copying the data over and not having a clue where you broke it will not help in the long run, and makes it hard to diagnose the problem, and will not help you learn and grow. Pick a method you want to use (kismet or scripting) and we can get started.

Comment

Much appreciated suggestion, Lamont. Do let me whine a little that one of the main reasons I chose UDK is it's "scriptless" programming. Kismet I can figure out, but I am not confident that there will be a way to accomplish the same kind of tap navigation in Kismet.

Frankly, navigation is one of those fundamental elements that shouldn't have to be rebuilt from scratch for every game. I am rather surprised that there are not a few built-in and configurable navigational options for Mobile UDK (virtual joystick/accelerometer/tap-and-go). I am spending all of my time creating the level and putting in the game functionality. I am wearied at the idea of having to learn programming on top of all that just to recreate a navigational function that should be (in my opine) built-in.

If I cannot find someone with a programming background to help me with that aspect, my game (Dreamscape, two-thirds done) will just have to live with the annoying thumb-constantly-on-screen. Bleah.

Comment

Then let's do it with tap nav in Kismet, if it can be done, I am sure between the both of us it can be figured out.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, Lamont. Thanks.

Frankly, I'd like to experiment with either tap-and-go or a simple accelerometer navigation (tilt forward to go, tilt back to reverse, tilt side to side for steering). Seems simple enough in principle, really, but I suspect there are some ticklish settings that need to be considered. What do you suggest?

Comment

We can do both. You can add me to MSN or gMail messenger. When we are done, we share the results.

You should make a new game project. We can bring over what we need as we need it slowly.

Comment

Working...
                              X