Complex static mesh/effects convert to mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complex static mesh/effects convert to mobile

I need some input here, folks. In designing a smoky interior space (a bar), I created a pretty cool effect in UDK by utilizing a fully-modeled static mesh shutter model with the property of dynamic lights to display light beams.

The dynamic light beams filtering through the shutters created a cool effect on the floor and surrounding objects but this is obviously impossible on UDKm.

I want to take the shutter model, move all the detail into a high poly normalmap, and somehow, when the player looks at the shutters, they should still be able to see the window frame behind the shutters and the back of the next building beyond the alley. Does anyone know how this can be done? I'm not concerned with the lighting effects for now, just simplifying the model.

My idea is to remove all the slats and bake all that detail from the high poly onto a flat surface. The visual effect of seeing detail "behind" the shutters could be accomplished with a cubemap, I assume. Am I on the right track? If so, do I need to model everything I want to be displayed in the cubemap, render the cubemap, and then apply the texture to the model?
Working...
X