how do you execute native code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unrealun View Post
    I find this really hillarious from a legal standpoint.

Epic games is asking for 25% royalty if you make a game with UDK and somehow make over $5000...

Let's think about that. How are we supposed to make over $5000 if we don't get the special access to native code that Epic/Chair does? Not only that, where is the support? The tech support or customer support? You guys want 25% royalty, while offering us just the crumbs of your "SDK"??

Seriously, think about that. Not just Epic, but any aspiring game developer reading this.
    Thats what this free well organized forum full of talented bright indivuduals willing to help is for.

Plus the free engine of course

Comment

Yes, I am aware of that, I'm not a novice with the Unreal engine either. It's just that if we are paying 25% royalty, we should get professional tech support directly from Epic games. The in-app purchases feature would be nice too.

Don't you agree? I'm specifically having an issue with EpicCitadel running consistently on my 8 gig Ipod Touch. I feel I should be able to contact someone from Epic games directly, and complain and yell at them. That is what I mean by paid tech support. For 25% royalty, I gotta yell at someone from Epic at some point!

PS- If I'm sounding a bit over-critical, it's because I am also aware the Unreal engine is probably the best 3D SDK out, even though it could potentially become the most expensive 3D SDK you use.

Comment

I find this really hillarious from a legal standpoint.

Epic games is asking for 25% royalty if you make a game with UDK and somehow make over $5000...

Let's think about that. How are we supposed to make over $5000 if we don't get the special access to native code that Epic/Chair does? Not only that, where is the support? The tech support or customer support? You guys want 25% royalty, while offering us just the crumbs of your "SDK"??

Seriously, think about that. Not just Epic, but any aspiring game developer reading this.
        i dont like the fact that some people have an artificial advantage(like having source) but i wont complain, because thats what babies do when they want what the other baby has ..

i wont ***** about tech support either until ive shipped a game, paid my fees+royalty and generate enough money for epic games to feel entitled to do so.

ps. please get us plugin support! lol...

id def pay for that feature (already have with unity engine)

Comment

I agree that not having access to native code seems like a huge drawback unless every iOS feature is implemented by the engine and exposed via script (in-app purchase, GameKit Bluetooth Networking etc...). That also might be pretty nice.

Looks like GameCenter is handled like this.

Comment

Yes, I am aware of that, I'm not a novice with the Unreal engine either. It's just that if we are paying 25% royalty, we should get professional tech support directly from Epic games. The in-app purchases feature would be nice too.

Don't you agree? I'm specifically having an issue with EpicCitadel running consistently on my 8 gig Ipod Touch. I feel I should be able to contact someone from Epic games directly, and complain and yell at them. That is what I mean by paid tech support. For 25% royalty, I gotta yell at someone from Epic at some point!

PS- If I'm sounding a bit over-critical, it's because I am also aware the Unreal engine is probably the best 3D SDK out, even though it could potentially become the most expensive 3D SDK you use.

You guys would have never even had the chance to make ios games with a proffesional engine or any game, if epic didnt give you this engine for free. just how you have to pay for your food... meet the real world...

Stop complaining.

You already got something not easily obtainable, they already spend a lot of money and time getting updates to you every month.

Comment

Alright. Well, as a programmer, one thing I am aware of is that we aren't supposed to complain. We are the ones who deal and supposedly fix the compatibility issues and bugs

Also, good point about not really deserving the right to complain about royalties without even having a finished game that will be affected by royalty costs.

Comment

Working...
              X