X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    (For UDK mobile, of course)

Opacity:

The most efficient way to implement opacity on your assets is to include it in the alpha slot of your diffuse texture.

Terrain:

Terrain isn't supported in UDK Mobile as of December. The easiest way to fix this issue is to export your existing terrain to a modeling program and re-create it as an asset. Then after importing you can vertex paint the terrain textures.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UDKm Tips Thread

UDKm Tips Thread

As I'm also just starting doing this, I will have little discoveries of my own that I'll share as I go along.

EVERY MODEL NEEDS UNIQUE UVs
    Right now, I've just noticed how crucial it is that every model you use has a UV channel where everything is flattened out and in the 0..1 UV space. Without that it will not light correctly - I've noticed surfaces completely black, or appearing as if certain sections of the texture aren't even there. If you need to fix this problem, it can often be accomplished very easily in the static mesh editor:
    Go the mesh menu and select "Generate unique UVs" For most models the default settings will work just fine and you're done. But if you already have multiple UV channels in your model then you'll need to set it up in the modeling package. I did the multiple UV channel thing by stacking multiple Unwrap UVWs in the modifier stack and making the last one the flattened one. (export to .ase and import into UDKm...) Then in the Static mesh editor, click the "show UV overlay" button and look at the value for "Light Map Coordinate Index." Change that value from its default (just click the up arrow next to the field) until you see your flattened unwrap show up over the model. This field changes which channel the unique unwrap uses. Again, if you have multiple UV channels on your model (for supporting multiple textures) don't use the
    "Generate unique UVs" utility - do it yourself and then change the [/FONT]Light Map Coordinate Index. There may be better ways of doing these things, but this is how I've learned to do them and it works.

UDKm WANTS FILES IN ITS NATIVE FILE FORMAT AND IN THE RIGHT PLACE
    Make sure your files are in the correct folders. It's easy to get things mixed up when you have multiple versions of UDK installed. Also, if you are working off of a level from non mobile UDK, after you've opened it in UDKm the first thing you should do is save it (makes a .mobile file). If at all possible, it is probably best to build your levels in UDKm from scratch using the assets you were using in UDK. I've run into nothing but trouble trying to get non-mobile assets running correctly in UDKm.

If your packages are crashing when you try to save them in UDKm, then copy everything out of them into a new package and save that.

BABY STEPS FIRST!
    Don't try to play your UDKm level in the full-screen game (or -worse- on your iPhone) until you know it works in the mobile previewer!! Don't be mean to yourself that way and then come here angry and frustrated. Get it working in the previewer before you do anything else.

READ THE DOCUMENTATION
    I always assume the best in people, and if you're developing for the iPhone using UDK I assume you're very intelligent and hard-working. But I'm surprised by how many people don't read the documentation. A lot of your questions are answered there, so do yourself a favor and get educated - it really isn't a lot of material (unless you're a programmer, but then that's your own fault isn't it) ;-)

SHORTCUT KEY FOR CONTENT BROWSER
    This is from the startup tips, but I was so excited I had to share it: Shift+Cntl+F will open the content browser with the cursor in the search field.

If you have tips of your own, please add them!
Working...
X