Material-multiply by a color doesn't transfer to iOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material-multiply by a color doesn't transfer to iOS

In trying to create a couple variations on a texture using a multiply in the materials, I am seeing that the color variations do not seem to flatten and transfer into the iOS preview. What I get is the "Mobile base texture." I thought it would flatten the texture for me and transfer the whole material node into the iOS preview. So in this example, instead of the red wallpaper, I am getting the base gray texture.

I assume this is a bug, would like to learn differently. Thanks for any input!

Heh, I solved my own problem. I kept the auto flatten mobile checked and deleted the text in the "mobile base texture" field and saved the material. It replaced the empty "mobile base texture" field with M_wallpaper03a_Flattened - pretty cool!

Have you been able to view your assets on an iPad/iPhone yet? We've tried flattening materials but they just look absolutely horrible.

Right now flattened textures make assets look like I took a crayon to my iPad. I'm wondering if maybe you've found a method that yields better results.

Comment

I don't own an i-anything. Once one of the members on my dev team looks at it I will let you know the results.

Comment

My dear friend:
        the linkage material editor doesn't work for UDK mobile, please click the main material node and roll to the bottom until you see "mobile", the main texture is the diffuse, you can add specular, normal, bump offset etc.
        then you have to use the mobile previewer to view the 'real' results of your level, and that will be the same as viewing it using your mobile device.

Comment

You can use the node material system to generate a flattened version of that material that will run on mobile. It basically just flattens it all down to a diffuse texture. This works great, but you could run into some issues if your mesh goes outside the 0to1 UV space though. If you are using a normal map with the flattned texture, it will also collapse the lighting from it into the texture, it does this as if it was on a plane with lighintg coming from the top.

I tend to just manually set the mobile texture to the one I want though.

Comment

If by mobile previewer you mean emulator then that's incorrect. Our assets when viewed on the emulator look amazing but when ported to iPad look like a crappy version of an old NES game. There's a big leap of faith you're taking when you don't test your game on an actual iProduct.

We've had to do a ton of work getting our iPad assets built correctly to support iPad use. It seems theres at least a few ways to create assets for UDK-PC but only one way to create them for UDK-Mobile. If you didn't use the correct way then your assets look horrible on mobile and you have to change the way you integrated it into UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Lehman View Post
              If by mobile previewer you mean emulator then that's incorrect. Our assets when viewed on the emulator look amazing but when ported to iPad look like a crappy version of an old NES game. There's a big leap of faith you're taking when you don't test your game on an actual iProduct.
              I work remotely and have someone else load it on their iPod and report back to me. Then we meet once a week and work for a day together so I can see it for myself.
              Originally posted by Zach Lehman View Post
              We've had to do a ton of work getting our iPad assets built correctly to support iPad use. It seems theres at least a few ways to create assets for UDK-PC but only one way to create them for UDK-Mobile. If you didn't use the correct way then your assets look horrible on mobile and you have to change the way you integrated it into UDK.
              Would you care to elaborate a bit on the methods you figured out?

Comment

Working...
              X