Minimum app size with UDK IOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum app size with UDK IOS?

Still downloading the new release. But wondering what's the minimum application binary size possible been created with UDK? (That's say, without any cumtom assets, just core engine)

The lowest I've experienced so far is 42MB with just setting up a real basic scene - Box with default texture, light, player spawn. The castle arena demo that starts up up with UDK-Mobile is around 52MB, so perhaps there's unnecessary packages still being loaded with my basic scene that I don't know how to disable yet. My tests were on iPad (.ipa files)

Comment

During development, the IPA is not compressed, as that results in the fastest packaging and installation times.

If you want to estimate how large the compressed IPA will be, package in distribution mode and look at the size of Distro_MobileGame. The final store size will be a little larger than this, by a few MB.

You probably won't be able to make a package under 20 MB however.

Cheers,
      Michael Noland

Comment

Also of note: Everything in the cooked content directory gets packaged, so for example, if you cook Epic Citadel and then switch back to your maps, your IPA will end up very large. You can fix this by doing a Full Recook whenever you switch which maps are to be cooked.

Comment

So 20MB ish. Thats still quite sexy all things considered.

Comment

Thanks Gamepatriot and joat.
            So the minimum app size will most likely be 20M? Is it possible be further stripped down? (maybe by removing some features not needed in specific game)

Comment

I was stating that you won't be able to get under the 20 MB download-over-3G limit at the current time, not saying 20 MB is the exact size. The minimum app size as-downloaded-from-the-app store is probably closer to 30 MB.

Cheers,
              Michael Noland

Comment

Working...
              X