iOS Licensing Fees - How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    azzy, seems most people must know -someone- with a Mac..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Exactly. My current objective is to feed my fascination and maybe after I'll try feeding my pocket.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
    it was a joke aZzy
    Lol I was adding what I did to the end of your joke haha :P sorry lol.
    And I had a look at that link, very help full and thanks for taking the time to do it

Curious, haha I totally agree. I but I think peoples dreams will be shattered when they realize that they have to have a Mac or the OSX in order to actually put the app on the app store, or even use the dev kit :P

Oh well, I guess if people were dedicated enough I guess these things could happen but I think it will be the really unique, well thought out games that will be the most successful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's funny how most of people jump in just for the profits and the first topics they visit are just those which discuss them. Everybody loves punching in dream numbers and thinking about what they want to do with the money they earn... I've been working with iOS for 2 years now and I can tell you right now that most of you are going to be disappointed with the results.

And most don't even have a clue what UE3 is (and "awesome" is not a valid definition), not to mention some of it's more intricate components like UnrealScript... But I can already sniff a million arena shooters coming to the AppStore next week...

Next step - Apple bans Arena shooters like fart machines.

For now, I'm just thrilled to execute UE3-based apps (from WINDOWS!) on my iPhone 4... And the idea of a Mass Effecty game on the iPhone/iPad sends chills down my spine :$ <3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it was a joke aZzy

I broke it all down here for you: http://udkc.info/index.php?title=IOS#Legal_and_Sales

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I HUH-ed??

Lol math is not a great friend of mine, nor is introducing the alphabet to the number line...

But i do understand how it works lol... i think plain english would be easier to understand. =P

At the end of the day guys, if your not making the most profit vs apple + epic, there is something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I saw, I came, I Hahaha'ed

Leave a comment:

• replied
    --- edit ---

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
    I would believe so, unless you want to be sued for monies not rendered.
    Yeh I was just thinking Epic might have integrated a little counting system to see how many new device IDs have been registered.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Depends if we can claim taxes as a "distribution fee"

Originally posted by Vmlweb View Post
    Do we have to contact epic when our games reach the $5,000 sales mark?
    I would believe so, unless you want to be sued for monies not rendered.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by joat View Post

A:Your UDK royalty is only calculated on revenue you receive. If your UDK app generated $100.00 of retail or online sales but you are paid only 70% due to a 30% distribution fee your UDK royalty is calculated on the $70.00 you actually received.
    Is the revenue means revenue before tax or after tax?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do we have to contact epic when our games reach the $5,000 sales mark?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    From my understanding of apple and UDK licenses:

Upfront fees:
    Apple Developer License - $99/year
    Allows access to iOS development tools (Mac + snow leopard required), provisioning tools, and appstore submissions.

UDK Commercial License - $99/game
    Commercial game license.

---
    Profits based on a tier one app ($.99):

First 7,142 purchases-
    Apple's share: $2,071 ($.29/purchase)
    Epic's share: $0 ($.00/purchase)
    Your share: $4,999.40 ($.70/purchase)

All remaining purchases-
    Apple's share: $.29/purchase
    Epic's share: $.16/purchase
    Your share: $.52/purchase

Leave a comment:

• replied
    7143 units at $1 to break the 5k revenue line, if you're getting 70% of the top line sales.

If you double those sales, you're looking at roughly $8750 for you, $730 for epic, and $2503 for Apple.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    $0.525 cents on the dollar is all thats left from a $1.00 game

I have broken it all down and pasted it here: http://udkc.info/index.php?title=IOS#Legal_and_Sales where it can be edited by other people. As well the site provides tables which are useful

Leave a comment:

Working...
X