Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent demo/tutorial and self-explanatory. I just put all the files in the corresponding folders in UDK, cooked the badboy, and it ran flawlessly on my device. Thanks for the free game!

Comment

Im wondering how i could make the rabbit jump, i have tryed adding a float value to the z component of the set velocity block but it dosent work. Any idea?

Comment

first of all, thank you for this tutorial!
        but, someone can you explain me how to insert enemies please? I need know it

Thanks!

Comment

Silly question but I cant find an answer to it.

What happens when you create a new jazz jackrabbit level. Do you have to go through all of that config again or is there some way to share the pawn and its kizmet across levels?

If you were creating a 20 level game then it would make more sense to do all that config in the pawn spawning code?

Comment

What happens when you create a new jazz jackrabbit level. Do you have to go through all of that config again or is there some way to share the pawn and its kizmet across levels?
            I had the exact thought after going through the tutorial. I'm new to the UDK but I don't see that method scaling very well unless you can share kismet sequences between maps.

Nevertheless, I learnt a lot about UDK going through it.

Bino

Comment

+1 to know how to add more game levels using the same Kismet

Comment

Originally posted by pixelboi View Post
                Just curious as how you got the lighting and the textures to look so toony.
                i'm curious about that too
                UDK Mobile does not accept any post process effect so you can't create a cartoon style shader like DungeonDefense.
                In this case i think there is some work on the texture and something other...

Comment

Kismet is not meant for creating complete games and is simply used in this case to show the power of it. If you have a a lot of repetive Kismet sequences get a programmer to put them in UnrealScript for you.

@Kenji87: You are free to examine the Materials used.

Comment

I'll get Shane back in here next week

Comment

Kismet can do a lot but i hope i will be extended a lot in the future. Switching levels shuld be possible, at least it is possible with the windows version of udk. There it can be done with level streaming. You can use your mail level with the kismet locig as persitent world so it is an entry point were other levels could be streamed in. Here you can find some info about streaming http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-streaming/

Comment

Shadow question

So I got everything working from the Tutorial, but ran into one problem. I did not link the blob shadow at the end correctly. How do I select the shadow? Every time I try and click on it, I seem to click on something else. I have tried searching for an answer but since I am a total n00b I don't think I am asking the right question.

Comment

@ FityP, To reselect the shadow mesh, you need to turn on the icon at the top that looks like a blue box called "Turn on Transparent Selection". This will allow you to select any mesh with a tansparent material.

Comment

First of all thank you for such a great tutorial.

I am curious about the pickups I spent the day trying to think what would be the best way of implementing my pickups and decided to try the Jazzminigames.upk since I hadn't yet and the pickup system is very very effective.

I see the 'SpawnPickup' event is activated when enemies are killed but what are the dynamic triggers for? Are they attached to the gun mesh so the actor factory just spawns the dynamic trigger with the gun mesh attached?

Why is it that if the weapons aren't available it returns to 'in' on the random switch but if carrot juice isn't available it returns to 'reset'?

Also why do you teleport a pickup place holder to the location of where the monster died is that just so the event activates in the right place?

Comment

Hi Astrolite, responses below...

I see the 'SpawnPickup' event is activated when enemies are killed but what are the dynamic triggers for? Are they attached to the gun mesh so the actor factory just spawns the dynamic trigger with the gun mesh attached?

The dynamic triggers are there to activate the pickup when you run over them.

Why is it that if the weapons aren't available it returns to 'in' on the random switch but if carrot juice isn't available it returns to 'reset'?

The carrot juice should also be going to the in input, it is just a bug I must have hooked it to the wrong input, nice catch.

Also why do you teleport a pickup place holder to the location of where the monster died is that just so the event activates in the right place?

This is just an easy way to store the locations where it died, there are other ways you could do this, but this seems the simplest kismet wise.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I appreciate the tutorial and I've learned a lot from it. I moved my game over from PC into MobileGame and I'm plugging along, but I have an issue that I'm not sure how to resolve.

In a PC UDK game I had my own custom playerpawn. My AI controller would react based on the event SeePlayer. I would be able to get and store the location of the player pawn and have my AI react accordingly.

I set up my player pawns skeletal mesh the same way the tutorial set up the Jackrabbit. The result is that my AI controller never gets the event SeePlayer. I imagine it has something to do with not placing a level start (like I do on a PC game) and toggling off the AllPlayers variable at the start of the level.

How would I go about getting that event to fire again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X