This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zero4 View Post
    Try to open WordProperties and change Game Type to CastleGame.
    I've tried different settings in that menĂ¹ but nothing change

edit: i have reinstalled the udk and i will not reinstall the Chicken Coup demo

Comment

@Jeremy,

Is the footprint big on the iphone using UDK?

Comment

Originally posted by hbrock View Post
        @Jeremy,

Is the footprint big on the iphone using UDK?
        Slightly irrelevant to this topic, but not in any case if you do things correctly.

Edit:

Sure, it's probably more than some really simple game coded from scratch, but the trade off is definitely worth it in my opinion.

I think my first post in this thread should have been a big 'ol thank you! This example game is great, and is essentially a tutorial in itself. I wish all the guys at Trendy a merry Christmas, and a happy new year!

Comment

I like Trendy, they help a lot of people by free source as Dungeon , now it 's Chicken Coup.

Comment

Kenji87:
            I think you simply were opening the wrong map (sometimes the CastleGame level can open by default in the Editor depending on how your INI's are configured). Open "ChickenMenuMap.mobile" (the menu map) or "ChickenMockup_2.mobile" (the gameplay map) in the Editor and you should be good to go. (I realize we left in a few older test maps... ooops)

hbrock:
            The compiled ChickenCoup distribution applicaton (IPA) is 84 MB. We didn't use space as efficiently as we could have, as we used a separate cooked map for the menu and another for the gameplay -- and we use very high rez textures on each. If CC was configured on a single level (the map could be combined on a gameplay level), it would have been closer to 50MB

Tom Havlik:
            Thank you!!!! Happy Holidays to you too.

honglong99:
            Thanks, just trying to do our part in spreading the UDK gospel

Comment

Awesome thank you, code is appreciated.

p.s. just bought dungeon defenders on ipad downloading now and looking forward to playing

Comment

It's really funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauliver View Post
                  The great team over at Trendy, who you probably remember from Dungeon Defenders, has put together a demo for all of you UDK with iOS users. The demo is available in full-source form so you can easily download it and deploy it to your own iOS device to check it out!
                  [SHOT]http://www.udk.com/elements/img/ChickenCoup.PNG[/SHOT]
                  You can download the full Chicken Coup source here: ChickenCoup UDK Source

"Chicken Coup"
                  All is well on the farm. The cows have been milked, the pigs' bellies are filled, the hens lay about contently around the henhouse -- wait! What's that?! A fox! You better get those chickens back into their pens before they're carried away by these dastardly predators!

Chickens appear from various hiding places along the playing field. Foxes sprint out of the three forest exits to snatch away the chickens!

There are three pens: one for roosters, one for hens, and a third (cage) for foxes. The player needs to drag these animals into their respective pens. If a fox escapes into the forest with a chicken, a chicken life is lost, and don't put the wrong animal into the wrong pen either... lose enough, and it's game-over!

The more animals the player has penned, the faster the appearance rate of the new critters, starting out slowly and eventually becoming a madcap frenzy! Who can pen the most critters at once? Only time and mad skills will tell...

Tips:
                  Drag the same type of chicken into each other to form chicken chains which give you point bonuses. Don't lose any chickens to increase your "Chicken Power" which gives you a further point multiplier. Be sure to prioritize foxes that have got their mitts on a chicken!
                  Join ChickenMenuMap + ChickenMockup_2 how to do this thing
                  because we have the menu app and the game app, i m very very confused
                  with that way of dev by Dungeon Defenders 1st Wave creators Trend Ent and how to make that fusion - Tnxxx in advance.
                  Goku + Vegeta = Gogeta XD

Comment

I am unable to get this game running on my Ipod Touch 4th gen 8 gig. On the PC, it works perfectly, no errors, it's a great game.

When I deploy it to the Ipod Touch, there are no errors, and the custom icon show correctly and the game starts. However, after I reach the main menu, when I select "Play", it shows the text "loading" for a second, then it quits out.

If I attempt to re-deploy it to the device, something odd occurs. I start getting these messages like this:

FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.HenIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                    FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.FoxIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                    FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.RoosterIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                    FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.CreditsLogo to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                    FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.ChickenCoupLogo to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                    etc...

Along with that, I get these following warnings:

Warning, Cihckens_Mesh skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)
                    Warning, HenSkel skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)
                    Warning, FoxSkel skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)

Resaving the packages does nothing, and I'm clueless on what it means by "more bone influences than allowed by this platform (2)" Other than it appears to be some sort of problem with the packages or maybe the device is having some sort of problem trying to load the skeletal meshs, causing the game to quit.

Comment

Oh yeah, and another interesting note, the author of this game added too many excess files, including his team provisioning profile. I dunno what kind of security risks that goes along with that, but every time I try to reinstall ChickenCoup from scratch, I have to reinstall my Team provisioning profile.

Comment

PVRTC4 texture compression is used to convert textures from being PC-friendly to mobile-friendly. You can convert the textures when saving the UPK files or when porting to device. It's probably good practice to convert textures before porting to iDevice but it shouldn't break your program.

Your second warnings are because the skeletal meshes have rigs (bones). The default bone limit is 75 and the default weight limit is 2. If you go over either of these limits this is the warning you get.

You can disable PVRTC texture compression as well as increase the bone/weight limit in the .ini files. I wouldn't suggest doing either, though.

Most likely the issue is that your program is running out of memory. iDevices/UDK don't currently have error messages for when you go over the memory limit - they just exit to "desktop" when they hit the memory wall.

On a personal note, I think the memory issues are going to be some of the most painful/frequent issues for developers looking to create medium to large-scale games.

Comment

Zach Lehman,

Thank you for the input! My device is currently hovering somewhere around 7 gig's..

Here's my next issue: all 7 gig's are purchased games that I don't want to get rid of, haha!

Comment

I dont think the physical memory is the issue. I think it's something to do with the RAM that the game gets front-loaded into.

Comment

Originally posted by unrealun View Post
                              I am unable to get this game running on my Ipod Touch 4th gen 8 gig. On the PC, it works perfectly, no errors, it's a great game.

When I deploy it to the Ipod Touch, there are no errors, and the custom icon show correctly and the game starts. However, after I reach the main menu, when I select "Play", it shows the text "loading" for a second, then it quits out.

If I attempt to re-deploy it to the device, something odd occurs. I start getting these messages like this:

FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.HenIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                              FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.FoxIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                              FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.RoosterIcon to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                              FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.CreditsLogo to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                              FAST compressing Texture2D ChickenHUD.ChickenCoupLogo to PVRTC4... resave the package to fix this.
                              etc...

Along with that, I get these following warnings:

Warning, Cihckens_Mesh skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)
                              Warning, HenSkel skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)
                              Warning, FoxSkel skeletal mesh uses more bone influences than are allowed by this platform (2)

Resaving the packages does nothing, and I'm clueless on what it means by "more bone influences than allowed by this platform (2)" Other than it appears to be some sort of problem with the packages or maybe the device is having some sort of problem trying to load the skeletal meshs, causing the game to quit.
                              Those messages are normal for Chicken Coup, don't worry about them (we disabled in-package caching of the PVRTC's because they made the editor material iteration slower for us, and the bone weighting warning ultimately doesn't affect how those particular skeletal meshes look).

Regarding the crash, are you sure you cooked the gameplay map as well? "ChickenMockup_2". Perhaps the game is running out of memory, it's something we didn't fully optimize -- you could try reducing the max texture group resolutions specified in "MobileGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini"

Please let me know if either helps, thanks!

-Jer

Comment

I made 3.6 gigs of free space, and for the texture group resolutions, if it is all the "MaxLODSize"s at the bottom, i lowered all of those to 1024. I still get the same crash when it tries to load ChickenMockup_2 (both ChickenMenuMap and ChickenMockup_2 has been cooked on all attempts).

I tried to Override Default map to ChickenMockup_2 directly, and that leads to the game quitting immediately after the splash animations. Out of all the deployments, ChickenMenuMap has loaded without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X