Universal Modular Entity Construction System for UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I've decided its time to dive deep into 3D Character modeling, rigging, and animation, devising the UMECHS Standards along the way. I elected Blender as my tool of choice. Its Free, Powerful, Supported, and there is a plethora of tutorials available on the net.

[SHOT]https://arcadekomodo.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Blender_Riggin.png[/SHOT]
    My First Character Model Rig.

Tutorial References:

UDK/Blender Tutorial: Custom Bots (Part1) [english]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, techlord

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LordNelson7 View Post
    This is really cool!
    Thanks LordNelson7. I wish the concept would attract more Artist/Animators. Keltar can see the potential for a Modular Parts System.

[SHOT]http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads/1/57/56577/Modular_Pawns.jpg[/SHOT]
    Inspirational!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is really cool!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PS:. I'm seeking advice of an experienced 3D Artist/Animators on devising the Standards. I've been reviewing Blender Tuts with intention of doing some modeling and animation myself. However, my plate is full developing: ArcadeKomodo and ProjectFujita. I've been gathering references and adding them to list below. I'd appreciate any input towards setting up the UMECHS Standard.

References:

UDK 3D Art Pipelines Naming Conventions
    Turbosquid Checkmate Specification
    Blender Rigging: Naming_the_bones, Blender Noob to Pro

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mcfarrel View Post
    That is correct. I have in mind there are differeincies between using same set of model parts creating modularity of objects in one mod/game and in several games (using same game parts). And more likely to be legal issue (or cuase legal issues) then technical issues...
    Generally, content packs sold to the public don't stipulate what games the content can be used in. Trying to do so will most likely reduce your profit potential. In the future UMECHS Store, our licensing terms are simple, geared toward maximizing the Artist's distribution & profitability, and the End User freedom & flexibility. If an Artists desires different Terms of Use, they obviously would not sell their parts pack through the UMECHS Store.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TechLord View Post
    Use it for all entities...
    That is correct. I have in mind there are differeincies between using same set of model parts creating modularity of objects in one mod/game and in several games (using same game parts). And more likely to be legal issue (or cuase legal issues) then technical issues...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mcfarrel View Post
    Anyway the idea of creating convention and logic for interchangable parts of models is OK, but problematic part might come deciding where to use this and what exactly use...
    Use it for all entities (with exceptions to terrain and simple single mesh objects). UMECHS can offer flexibility for content in a game that doesn't require player customization, large assortment of creatures/props, or destruction/dismemberment sequences. The UMECHS Module (unrealscript middleware) provides mechanisms to assemble/disassemble, swap parts, procedurally animate, swap and modify textures, and much more in real-time.

TheGameCreators, Garage Games, Unity, many other Game Development Communities understand the demand for content and meet this need with Character /Content Model Packs. UMECHS can be the Modular Content Pack Solution for UDK. It redefines the concept of Content Packs, being designed specifically with the intention of providing unique characters for UDK Games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
    A "quality" title would not be reusing assets. In some cases you should certainly reuse stuff, like consider how many times New York City has been in a movie or game, having to redo it multiple times would be a waste. But for something like fantasy, where a big draw is the particular art design it would not be a good idea. As a customer if I noticed reused assets like that I would think you were lazy and cheap and don't care about your own project. Real-world stuff that's supposed to be the same no matter what game it is is fine for an online library, but something that's supposed to be a unique vision of fantasy or sci-fi is not OK to reuse assets.
    If some guys here bother to look at delev proces of variety of commercial games they might have found some "prefab making". So as a part of one mod or game it is absolutely normal and even the pros do this.
    But on the other hand this feature might be questionalble in some situations (like above mentioned).

If this feature should be part of one game/mod it is OK to use prefabs to make variability of Your models (changing clothes each game, so the AI actors looks more living), but using widely across the wide variety of games this might be questinable.

Anyway the idea of creating convention and logic for interchangable parts of models is OK, but problematic part might come deciding where to use this and what exactly use...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you see a character that reuses a face it doesn't matter what the rest of the body looks like, the player will remember that they've seen that face in another game, or the armor, or whatever it is. Just like in many MMO games where it's disappointing to see people using the same head or armor as you, and that happens even with games that have a huge amount of customization content.
    I can agree and thats a crucial point. Then we must ensure UMECHS supports plenty of low level detail customization options for face, armor, and other entity classes and parts that players focus on. This includes facial animation. Dragon Age did a real good job providing plenty of facial detail customization. Supporting such detail in Weapons is also of particular interest to me. Your insight is valued.

Firearm Entity Class

Firearm Modelled Parts (simulated)

Firearm Weapon (TBD)

• Reference: Loosely based on 3P RocketLauncher Skeletal Mesh. LOD suitable for First-Person Perspective
    • Base Mesh: Reduced to Single Core component, Splitting sections into Accessories and HotSwaps: See Modular Firearm

Vehicle (TBD)

• Reference: Loosely based on Scorpion Skeletal Mesh/Rig
    • Base Mesh split into sections to separate Chassis, Suspension System, Wheels
    • Static Attachments
      • Hood, Front Left/Right Fender, Rear Left/Right Fender, Front/Bump Bumper, Left/Right Side Skirt, Spoiler

• Dynamic Attachments
      • Trans-axles, Wheels

• Textures: Decals, Emissive Light Decals, Body Graphics

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you see a character that reuses a face it doesn't matter what the rest of the body looks like, the player will remember that they've seen that face in another game, or the armor, or whatever it is. Just like in many MMO games where it's disappointing to see people using the same head or armor as you, and that happens even with games that have a huge amount of customization content.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by philbrown View Post
    Along those lines... I think there's far too many "completely new location/scene/xyz!!!" games there. It was worth it while technology and graphics kept improving. but we're kinda reaching the "retina screen" limit. ie: you cant improve the quality of the image much any more.
    In my opinion, it would be nice to see 4 quality titles in 1 year, all reusing the same basic assets, rather than see 1 quality title over 2 or 3 years.
    Hi philbrown. Thanks for reading and replying.

I hope we haven't reached a "retina screen" limit as I'm true believer in that there is always room for improvement. Technology continues to improve and we're on the brink of a paradigm shift in how graphical game content is generated. The Spore Creature Creator is a glimpse into the future of procedurally generated modular content. I'm not saying this technology will replace 3D Artists/Animators, but, I do believe we'll see more advanced forms of automated content creation to reduce production cost and increase production speed. Even UnrealEngine3 offers a Procedural Buildings System.

I predict within the next 3 years, we'll see:
    • Real-time photo-realistic procedurally generated modular content.
    • Computer aided content creation.
    • Semi-procedural generated content systems.

UMECHS is a paradigm shift in how content is manually generated for UDK Games. It provides Content interoperability between multiple Artists and Game Devs. The UMECHS Standard provides an Universal Assembly Convention for Modular Asset Creation. The UMECHS Module (unrealscript middleware) provides a Modular Content Management based on the UMECHS Standard to assemble/disassemble, swap parts, procedurally animate, swap and modify textures, and much more in real-time with considerations to networking. Together, UMECHS is a 3-in-1 solution that doesn't require reinvention of the wheel. This is a time cost savings for all parties:

The 3-in-1 Solution:
    • Real-time Player/NPC/Entity customization.
    • Populating game worlds with catalogs of Pre-fab Creatures and Props.
    • Destruction/dismemberment Sequences.

A "quality" title would not be reusing assets.
    With UMECHS, Game Developers have the option to use available Parts, create new 'exclusive' Parts, and mix n' match between them. 3D Artist/Animators have the option author, package, and distribute parts with a specific theme and art-style. UMECHS Entity's quality and uniqueness is the sum of its parts (mesh, animation, textures, materials, shader) used to assemble and animate it. A typical bipedal base mesh comprised of a minimum of 7 segments with a minimum of 2 unique sets of segments will provide 49 unique base mesh combinations (7 ^ 2 = 49). This number exponentially increases with the addition of segments, attachments, textures, materials, shaders, and animations.

UMECHS is a Modular Content System and reusable interchangeable Parts is a good thing for a 3D Artist. Modularity makes is possible to resell assets to multiple developers. What isn't a good thing for a 3D Artist, is creating exclusive works-of-art that are trapped in a project that is never released. There is an extremely high percentage of projects that fail to release. Artist are aware of this fact, and favor direct payment for work rendered verses royalties. I understand that principle from a business perspective, however, from artist perspective, I want the world to see my work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A "quality" title would not be reusing assets. In some cases you should certainly reuse stuff, like consider how many times New York City has been in a movie or game, having to redo it multiple times would be a waste. But for something like fantasy, where a big draw is the particular art design it would not be a good idea. As a customer if I noticed reused assets like that I would think you were lazy and cheap and don't care about your own project. Real-world stuff that's supposed to be the same no matter what game it is is fine for an online library, but something that's supposed to be a unique vision of fantasy or sci-fi is not OK to reuse assets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure that's the case, even if you're doing a fantasy style game I don't know that you would want to use assets from some kind of online library. People would at least call you out for using something like that on main characters
    Why?
    To me, it would depend on

1. how good they looked
    2. how much I paid for it.
    (in other words, if I'm paying $$$, but they're getting their content for free, I'd be alittle peeved)

Other than that... people already pay ludicrous bux to see the same actors in many different movies. Why would they get all huffy about seeing the same "virtual actors" reused... especially if it brought down the cost to play?

Along those lines... I think there's far too many "completely new location/scene/xyz!!!" games there. It was worth it while technology and graphics kept improving. but we're kinda reaching the "retina screen" limit. ie: you cant improve the quality of the image much any more.
    In my opinion, it would be nice to see 4 quality titles in 1 year, all reusing the same basic assets, rather than see 1 quality title over 2 or 3 years.

I dig story, over "new for newness' sake"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure that's the case, even if you're doing a fantasy style game I don't know that you would want to use assets from some kind of online library. People would at least call you out for using something like that on main characters so it would mostly only be useful for minor things like NPC's and enemies. And that's only if you like the style of the assets that are available.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X