Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Blender to UDK rigging guide/ tutorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are two of the best rigging tutorials for blender. Well worth watching, about an hour for each.

http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/in...ion-to-rigging

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/12/...acter-rigging/

Comment

I can highly recommend the first one.

Can't comment on the second - haven't seen it (yet).

Comment

Just a note regarding the only export deformer bones option.

It appears non-deformer bones that are parents to deformers (or otherwise embedded in the deformer chain) will still get exported regardless of their deform setting. So for advanced setups it's probably still necessary to separate the deformation and animation hierarchies within the armature.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
          It appears non-deformer bones that are parents to deformers (or otherwise embedded in the deformer chain) will still get exported regardless of their deform setting. So for advanced setups it's probably still necessary to separate the deformation and animation hierarchies within the armature.
          Another thing to add.
          Thank you for the heads up.

Comment

I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question I need answered about custom characters with a custom rig that imitates the UDK character rig.

I'm using Blender to do this.

So I named all of the bones how they should be named, I parented the bones to their respective parents(like in the UDK character rig), I weighted the character and then exported it using the FBX exporter. Everything went well, except that the character is rotated on it's back and all of the animations are messed up. Even though I weighted it correctly. It seems as if UDK is stretching my bones and rotating them, because they aren't the same size as in the default UDK character rig. Even though I went through all of the steps and completed them successfully, something went wrong.

Any suggestions?(especially aimed at you, slowJusko, because you managed to complete this successfully )

Thanks so much,

toast

Comment

to be honest, if you want to use the udk anims with a blender character then use the ut3 rig, yes it looks wierd in blender and its a pain to animate but afaik thats the only options.
              have you edited the fbx exporter to remove the extra root bone that it adds
              even if you have named the bones to be the same as the ut3 rig, if the bone orientation isn't the same then the anims will but wrong in udk

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                to be honest, if you want to use the udk anims with a blender character then use the ut3 rig, yes it looks wierd in blender and its a pain to animate but afaik thats the only options.
                have you edited the fbx exporter to remove the extra root bone that it adds
                even if you have named the bones to be the same as the ut3 rig, if the bone orientation isn't the same then the anims will but wrong in udk
                hey thanks for the answer geodav!

I tried editing the .py script/addon for the FBX export, but it wasn't the same as mentioned in Jusko's tutorial. I'll try it again.

As to bone orientation, I thought it might be something like this. Do you think it would help, if in Blender I change the roll of each bone to the roll of ut3 rig's bones?

Comment

you have to search a bit in the fbx .py as the lines have moved a bit since jusko did his tutorial, the lines are now 2554, 2555, 2556 , blender 2.65

you could try changing the roll of the bones, solong as they then match the ut3 rig it should then work, no promises though

Comment

Yes, it has been a while.
                    Search for the text instead of going by the suggested line number
                    I have never tried to use the UT3 animations with a custom rig, so I cannot comment about using those animations with your own.
                    As for the orientation, did you export using "Include default take" and import with “Use TOAs Ref Pose”?
                    This was suggested by Spoof and works a charm for me.

Comment

Alright, I tried this thing one more time now. I got really annoyed by all of the problems the last time I tried that I quit trying to import a character mesh into UDK with the UDK animations...

Anyhow, I seem to have gotten a bit of success with it.

Try this: http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...=1#post2352229

EDIT: I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing that if you want to try it with your own rig, just stick to having the b_Hip, b_Spine and b_Right/LeftClav bones on similar positions as they are in the UT male rig. Also try copying the Bone Rolls of each bone as they are with the rig that I've made(90° on the toe bone, -90° on the ankle, -90° on the leg,... - just look at my Armature)

Also when opening your character mesh with the AnimSet Editor try unchecking the 'Anim Rotation Only?' box in the AnimSet tab

Comment

Working...
                      X