Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[UDK May 2012 Problem] Skeleton Mesh ROLL Rotation different from AnimSet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[UDK May 2012 Problem] Skeleton Mesh ROLL Rotation different from AnimSet?

Hello Everyone,
    I am having an issue and seek your advice.

Description of Problem:
    UDK March 2012 - Successfully imported a skeletal model (.fbx) in the past UDK build (March 2012), put it into an Animtree and synced with UScript (It was working fine).
    UDK May 2012 - After a re-import into May 2012, the same model (.fbx) (which hasn't been touched since importing into March 2012) is having rotation problems. When I attach it's Animset to the Skeletal mesh (via animset editor), the "ROLL" is off by -90 degrees (Character lays flat on his face). Weird thing is, I have the old mesh saved in a package (saved in the UDK directory from March 2012) and it works fine in May 2012.
    The problem is that I have other characters importing with the same incorrect results and I'm trying to figure out why they all rotate when I attach their Animsets to them (Different characters and different AnimSets).

Steps:
    1. Import Skeletal Mesh (Imports with its AnimSet).
    2. Open the skeletal mesh ( AnimSet Editor ).
    3. At this point mesh rotation is correct (Animset is none in drop down. No Animset picked yet.).
    4. Pick the correct Animset from the AnimSet tab's drop down menu ( this is the correct AnimSet).
    5. At this point, the mesh "Roll" rotation is off by -90 degrees.

Tests:
    To correct this, I add +90 to the ROLL rotation which you'd think would be ok but it is not, whey I preview this in my AnimTree, the model lays flat on his face when its not in Phys_Walking!

Other Tests (all fail):
    A. Imported an older model that was working perfectly in August 2011, November 2011 and it is having the same issue.
    B. I removed all my content and re-imported the model.
    C. I rebuilt my scripts.
    D. ReInstalled UDK May 2012.

9:30 PM CST Update:
    I just reimported the skeletal mesh and animset into March 2012. The problem has disappeared!

Please enlighten me with your thoughts, I will be most appreciative.
    My theory is that this is a UDK bug!

Putting this in the Issue Forum since this appears to be a May 2012 bug.
    Here is the link:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...t-from-AnimSet

Comment

Was the fbx exported from Max, Maya or Blender?

Comment

It was Maya 2012

Comment

Has anyone witnessed changes in UDK May 2012 import process? Have you had to make any alterations to your models, rigs, animations? We are still having this issue.

Comment

I have found an fbx created by Blender imports in a similar way, where a fbx created by Max is fine. Wondering if Maya has the same issue.

Comment

I solved this issue, here are my notes and work around: (Put this in the issue forum with hopes Epic takes a look at it).
              http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...t-from-AnimSet

Comment

Working...
              X