Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

How to rename bones of existing SkeletalMesh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rename bones of existing SkeletalMesh

How can I rename the bones of an existing SkeletalMesh which is already imported into Unreal editor?

I can view and edit the SkeletalMesh using AnimSet editor / viewer. I can see the joints / bones in the Skeleton Tree panel on the left of the AnimSet editor but I cannot find an option for renaming bones.

Clicking Mesh -> Fixup Bone Names does not seem to do anything in my version of UDK.

edit in the original package you were working with.

in 3ds max go to "select names" and usually the hierarchy for your skeletal mesh should be in order

Comment

Originally posted by thejaguarmma View Post
      edit in the original package you were working with.
      Thanks - yes, I know I can rename the bones in the 3D modeling software. The artist who created this SkeletalMesh asset provided it as a .upk package. It was done in Maya and currently I don't have access to the Maya network license server.

So if you know a way to rename the bones in UDK (for a quick or temporary fix) please share. This SkeletalMesh only has a few bones so I think a quick fix is fine for me.

I'm still puzzled why clicking the "Mesh -> Fixup Bone Names" in the AnimSet editor does not seem to do anything useful. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

Export as FBX

From the content browser you can export the Skeletal Mesh as an FBX (from the right-click menu). Bring the FBX into Max (or whatever you have available), rename the bones and re-export as a new FBX. Import the new FBX as a skeletal mesh and replace references to the old mesh to the new one.

Comment

Hi,

I´m having the same problem here... Only when my artist renames the bones in 3ds Max, they don´t follow over to UDK after import. He´s using a CAT rig, and the bone names just refuse to transmit to UDK. Is this a common problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Comment

Working...
          X